Articles you may Like
RTI Online – Filing RTI application online – Frequently Asked Questions
DOPT has launched an exclusive web portal to facilitate RTI information seekers. Now RTI application can be filed online when information is sought from DOPT. This facility will be extended to all Ministries and Departments soon.
DOPT has compiled frequently asked questions on online filing of RTI application
- To which Public Authority can I file a request?An applicant who desires to obtain any information under the RTI Act 2005 can make a request through this RTI Online Portal to only the Central Public Authorities of main Ministries/Departments located at New Delhi initially. In the first phase, this facility is available to make a request to Department of Personnel and Training only.
- How do I write my application for seeking the information as per RTI Act 2005?The text of the application may be written in the prescribed column of the form. At present, the text of the application is confined up to 500 characters only in the prescribed column of the form.In case, the text of an application contains more than 500 characters, it can be uploaded as a PDF attachment in the “Supporting Document” column of the form.
- How do I make the payment for RTI fee?After filling the first page, a non-BPL applicant has to click on “Make Payment” button for remittance of the prescribed RTI fee.The applicant can pay the prescribed RTI fee through the following modes:(i). Internet banking through SBI and its associated banks.
(ii). Using ATM-cum-Debit card of State Bank of India.
It may be noted that no RTI fee is required to be paid by any citizen who is below poverty line, as per RTI Rules, 2012. However, the applicant must attach a copy of the certificate issued by the appropriate government in this regard, along with the application.
- Do I get any receipt for online filing of RTI application?On submission of an application, a unique registration number will be issued, which may be referred by the applicant for any future reference.It may be noted that the application filed through this RTI Online Portal will reach electronically to the “Nodal Officer” of the said Ministry/Department and “Not” to the CPIO of the concerned Ministry/Department.The Nodal Officer will transmit the RTI application, either electronically or physically to the concerned CPIO.
- What will happen to my application if I select a wrong Public Authority in the prescribed form?In case the RTI application is not meant for the Ministry /Department which has been selected by the applicant, the “Nodal Officer” of the said Ministry/Department will transfer the application electronically to the “Nodal Officer” of the concerned main Ministry/Department located at New Delhi, under section 6(3) of the RTI Act.
- Will I be informed about the additional fee (if any) is required to pay?In case additional fee representing the cost is required for providing information, the Nodal Officer will intimate the same, which can be viewed by the applicant through ‘View Status’ option in the RTI Online Portal and an e-mail alert will be sent to the applicant for the same.For submitting the additional fee online, the applicant needs to use the option ‘View Status’ in the RTI Online Portal and on providing the registration number of the request option for ‘Make Payment’ will provided.
- How do I file an appeal with First Appellate Authority?For making an appeal to the first Appellate Authority, the applicant has to select the option “Submit First Appeal” in the RTI Online Portal and fill up the form that will appear.The registration number of original application may be used for the reference.The appeal so filed through this RTI Online Portal will also reach electronically to the Nodal Officer of the concerned Ministry/Department and Not to the first Appellate Authority.
The Nodal Officer will transmit the first appeal to the concerned First Appellate Authority (FAA), either electronically or physically.
- Do I need to make any payment for filing an appeal?As per RTI Act, no fee has to be paid for first appeal.
- Do I get any SMS from RTI Online Portal?Though optional, the mobile number can be provided by the applicant/ appellant in order to receive SMS alerts.