Extension of Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity to the Central Government employees covered by New Defined Contribution Pension System (National Pension System)
Extension of Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity to the Central Government employees
OFFICE OF THE PR. CONTROLLER OF DEFENCE ACCOUNTS (PENSIONS)
DRAUPADI GHAT, ALLAHABAD- 211014
Circular No C -170
O/o the PCDA (P), Allahabad
(All Head of Department under Min. of Defence)
Sub: – NPS: Extension of benefits of Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity to the Central Government employees covered by New Defined Contribution Pension System (National Pension System)-regarding.
Ref:– This office circular no. 79 dated 29/10/2010 and no. 110 dated 12/08/2013
Benefits of Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity to the Central Government employees covered by New Defined Contribution Pension System (National Pension System) has been extended vide Govt. of India, Ministry of PPG & P, Deptt. of P&PW in their O.M. No. 7/5/2012-P&PW (F)/B dated 26.08.2016 (copy enclosed)on the same terms and conditions as are applicable to employees covered by Central Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 1972. The Ministry has further clarified vide O.M. No. 28/03/2017-P&PW(B) dt. 18/05/2017, that CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972 are otherwise not applicable to the Central Government employees covered under NPS. Hence, they would obviously not be eligible for Service Gratuity or Pension under the CCS (Pension) Rules.
2.The phrase ‘terms and condition’ in the ibid O.M. dated 26.08.2016 refers to the requirement of qualifying service, the rates on which retirement gratuity is to be paid, the limit of amount of gratuity, nominations, disciplinary provisions, etc. in the CCS(Pension) Rules. All these condition would be equally applicable for grant of gratuity to employees covered under NPS. The decision to extend retirement gratuity and death gratuity vide the O.M. dated 26.08.2016 is absolute and not provisional. Separate rules on gratuity for Central Government employees under NPS would be framed in due course.
3. Now, it has been decided that to submit the claims of above beneficiaries for Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity, the following procedures shall be adopted by HOO and Pay Audit Controllers:-
i. H.O.O. will prepare a claim in case of NPS beneficiaries going to retire in accordance with the procedure as prescribed for Defence Civilian Personnel appointed before 01.01.2004 and will submit the same along with Service Book and all the relevant documents(which is required in case of pre 01-01-2004 Cases) to PAO concerned i.e. LAO/RAO. The Permanent Retirement Account No. (PRAN) of the concerned Government Servant Allotted by National Security Depository limited (NSDL) will also be indicated. In cases where PRAN has not been allotted by NSDL to a NPS Subscriber being non-effecting account as on 01.04.2008, Permanent Pension Account No. (PPAN) allotted to subscriber will be indicated.
ii. PAO will carry out all necessary checks with reference to the entries in Service Book and as admissible under the OM No. 38/41/06 P&PW (A) dated 05.05.2009(already circulated under this office circular no. 79 dt. 29-10.2010) to ensure that entries made in claim are in as per records in the Service Book of the individual. After signing and affixing the seal, the PAO concerned i.e. LAO/RAO will pass on the claim to the PCDA (P) Allahabad. The Service Book will be returned by PAO to HOO concerned.
iii. HOO will also maintain a separate register for recording entries for PRAN /PPAN No., Name of Government Servant, PPO No. and awards notified.
iv. On receipt of PPO from PCDA(P) Allahabad, HOO will check the same and after recording the entries in the register retransmit PDA’s copy to PDA, Pensioner copy to Pensioner and retain HOO copy for their own record.
v. Other procedures prescribed for pre 01-01-2004 pensioner will also be followed by the HOO in case of NPS beneficiaries.
4. In view of the foregoing, you also are requested to issue suitable instructions (along with copy of this circular) to all the Head of Offices under your administrative control to ensure that claim on the subject matter henceforth are floated in accordance with instructions given in above Para.
(Rajeev Ranjan Kumar)
Dy. CDA (P)
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare
Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market,
New Delhi — 110 003,
Dated : 26.08.2016.
Subject : Extension of benefits of ‘Retirement Gratuity and Death Gratuity’ to the Central Government employees covered by new Defined Contribution Pension System (National Pension System) — regarding.
The undersigned is directed to say that the pension of the Government servants appointed on or after 1.1.2004 is regulated by the new Defined Contribution Pension System (known as National Pension System), notified by the Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic Affairs) vide their 0.M No. 5/7/2003-ECB & PR dated 22.12.2003. Orders were issued for payment of gratuity on provisional basis in respect of employees covered under National Pension System on their retirement from Government service on invalidation or death in service, vide this Department’s OM No. 38/41/2006- P&PW(A) dated 5.5.2009.
2. The issue of grant of gratuity in respect of government employees covered by the National Pension System has been under consideration of the Government. It has been decided that the government employees covered by National Pension System shall be eligible for benefit of ‘Retirement gratuity and Death gratuity’ on the same terms and conditions, as are applicable to employees covered by Central Civil Service (Pension) Rule,1972.
3. These orders issue with the concurrence of Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, vide their I.D. Note No. 1(4)/EV/2006-II dated 29.07.2016.
4. In their application to the persons belonging to the Indian Audit and Accounts Department, these orders issue after consultation with Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
5. These orders will be applicable to those Central Civil Government employees who joined Government service on or after 1.1.2004 and are covered by National Pension System and will take effect from the same date i.e. 1.1.2004.
Director (Pension Policy)