7th Pay Commission Accommodation Allowance for Defence Personnel
Revised 7th Pay Commission Accommodation Allowance and HRA for Defence Personnel – Compensation in lieu of Quarters
3.7. ACCOMMODATION ALLOWANCES:
(i) COMPENSATION IN LIEU OF QUARTERS (CILQ)
Under 7th CPC, Compensation in Lieu of Quarters (CILQ) stands abolished as a separate allowance. Eligible employees to be governed by the newly proposed provisions for Housing for PBORs.
The origin of CILQ can be traced to the requirement to accommodate the service personnel at a place which is near to their unit of posting. This is necessitated by the service conditions of the personnel. The entitlement of accommodation, thus, becomes part of the service conditions of the PBORs.
Conditions for admissibility of CILQ
1. The CILQ is admissible to the entitled personnel on the following two conditions:
a. if quarters are not provided to the entitled personnel, or
b. if the accommodation so provided is inferior in comparison to the authorisation
2. As per Rule 281 of Pay & Allowance Regulation, entitled personnel are;
a. PBORs who are married, and
b. are of the age of 25 or above
3. The government has fixed an authorisation of married establishment (entitled personnel) by specifying a percentage of the total establishment, based upon the functional requirements. The authorisations so fixed are:
The PBORs who fall within the above percentages of authorisation and fulfill the conditions quoted in paras 1 & 2 above, are entitled to CILQ.
4. CILQ is payable at the following rates:
CILQ rates according to rank and city classification
5. General attributes are as under:
a. CILQ is meant to compensate for hiring of house, furniture, electricity and water etc. Thus it is a composite allowance.
b. PBORs have the option to choose between CILQ or HRA, whichever is more beneficial.
c. Recruits are not entitled to CILQ.
6. Publishing of CILQ DO II:
a. should be published twice in a year
b. to be notified as on 1st January and 1st July
c. Station order under which the initial grant of CILQ is published, is essentially to be submitted with the DO II for the initial grant
Rules and Conditions of admissibility under various propositions:
(Auth : Rule 284 Pay and Allowance Regulation)
7. CILQ at duty station rates: PBORs will be entitled to CILQ at the duty station rate if they are
a. married and are within the authorised percentage of Married Establishment
b. permitted to live out with their families.
c. on posting to field.
8. CILQ for families not residing at duty station:
a) CILQ at “Other Town” rates is admissible to married PBOR if Married accommodation is not available at the duty station for allotment to PBOR due to which the family of PBOR resides at a station other than duty station, subject to basic conditions.
b) CILQ “Other Town” rates is admissible for families of PBOR posted to Field / Concessional areas if, the families are not in occupation of Govt. accommodation at the last duty station or separated family accommodation.
c) PBOR Posted at Field Services areas are entitled to CILQ at the rates they were in receipt of prior to their posting to such areas, subject to the following conditions
i. The PBOR was living out with his family at the previous duty station.
ii. Family continues to reside at the same station.
iii. This concession is admissible to PBOR during the period of service in Field area only.
iv. The number of PBORs to whom the concession is given plus the number of houses that are hired for separated families of PBORs, does not exceed the number authorised for hiring.
d. PBOR posted to Field Service areas and are permitted to arrange private accommodation for their families at old duty station are entitled to CILQ at the rates prescribed for the old duty station, subject to the following conditions
i. The family continues to live at the old duty station.
ii. Govt. built, hired or separated Family accommodation specifically built or hired, not remains vacant. If any accommodation falls vacant after the grant of CILQ, the family of the PBOR will be shifted to such accommodation and payment of CILQ will be stopped from the date of occupation.
iii. The number of PBOR to whom the concession is given plus the number of houses that are hired for separated families of PBOR, does not exceed the number authorised for hiring.
e. PBOR posted to Field Service Areas and who are permitted to hire accommodation for their families at one of the separated Family Stations are entitled to CILQ at the rates prescribed for the separated family station, subject to the following conditions
i. Govt. accn provided to the PBOR at old duty station cannot be retained.
ii. Govt. built, hired or separated family accommodation specifically built or hired not remain vacant. Accommodation if falling vacant after grant of CILQ, the family will be shifted to such accommodation and CILQ will be stopped from the date of occupation.
iii. The number of individuals to whom the concession is given plus the number of houses that are hired for separated families of PBOR does not exceed the number authorised for hiring.
9. Various circumstances and their orientation w.r.t. CILQ:
(Auth : Para of Pay & Allowance Regulation)
a. Para 290 : CILQ will not be admissible to PBORs who refuse allotment of entitled accommodation.
b. Para 290 : PBORs on deputation or secondment to other Defence organization who are in receipt of pay from the Defence Service Estimates, will be entitled to CILQ.
c. Para 287 : CILQ will continue to be admissible during periods of temporary absence on duty and during absence on annual leave, leave pending retirement / discharge subject to certain laid down conditions.
d. Para 289 : CILQ may be continued to PBORs during release and overseas service leave if they were in receipt thereof before release and continue to incur expenditure on hiring accommodation at their duty station.
(ii) FAMILY ACCOMMODATION ALLOWANCE (FAA) (upto 30 June 2017)
- For all ORs not held on Auth Married Est (AME).
- Minimum of HRA rates applicable.
- 10% of Pay, the pay for this purpose will include Pay in Pay Band, Grade Pay & MSP. X Pay not to be included.
- All OR, irrespective of age and marital status, are authorised FAA if not claiming HRA/CILQ or not staying in Govt Accommodation.
- Auth : MoD letter no. 10(55)/98/D/D(Q&C) dt. 18.11.2008.
- (Detailed procedure given in IHQ of MoD (Army) Branch, MP-8 letter no. A/20038/MP 8 (I of R) dt.31.07.2009 and letter of even no. dt.18.08.2009)
1. For the first/initial claim, the word “INITIAL” to be mentioned in Column 7 (b).
2. Only 10% (minimum of HRA) is admissible as FAA.
3. The cessation of the claim to be notified by indicating “CEASED” in Column 7(a).
4. If FAA granted earlier is continued to be paid, a continuation claim is to be notified half yearly as on first July and first January of the year in the above format, with the same description, failing which the grant made earlier will be ceased automatically from first July and first January of the year respectively.
5. In the case of notification of continuation Part II Orders, the Part II Order in which the earlier grant/continuation has been published should be mentioned in Column 8.
6. The individual will not be getting CILQ/HRA along with FAA.
Certificate. Certified that:-
1. The conditions laid down for the grant of FAA in terms of 10(55)/98/D(Q&C) dated 18 Nov 2008 have been fulfilled.
2. The individual is not within the authorized married establishment in terms of the percentage authorized for the station.
GENERAL REASON FOR REJECTION
- Absent during the period.
- Not admissible to JCOs / Honorary Ranks.
- Future date – cancel and republish
- Reference DOII Marked As Cancelled with Reference To Cancel DOII.
- From Date is later than DOII publication date.
1. For the first/initial claim, a certificate from the individual in the form given in Annexure ‘B’ to GOI letter No 10(55)/98(D)(Q&C) dated 18 Nov 2008 and NAC from the Station Commander in the form given in Annexure ‘D’ to the above letter are to be enclosed and the word ‘INITIAL’ to be given in Column 7 (b).
2. The individual has opted for HRA.
3. The class of city viz CCX,CCY, CCZ along with entitled type of accommodation such as 1,2,3,4 for which HRA granted should be indicated in Column 7 (c) as shown in that Column.
4. The percentage Rate of HRA i.e 10%, 20%, 30% as per classification of city to be given in numbers in amount Column.
5. Lowest amount charged as License fee for the entitled type of accommodation is to be shown under Column 6(SRA).
6. The cessation of the claim to be notified by indicating “CEASED” in Column 7(a).
7. If HRA granted earlier is continued to be paid, a continuation claim is to be notified half yearly as on first July and first January of the year in the above format with the same description, failing which the grant made earlier will be ceased automatically from first July and first January of the year respectively.
8. In the case of notification of continuation Part II Orders, the Part II order in which the earlier grant/continuation has been published, should be mentioned in Column 8.
9. The individual will not get CILQ in addition to HRA.
Also checkout following topics in Handbook on 7th Pay Commission Pay and Allowances for Defence personnel
- Ration Allowance and Special Ration Allowance granted to Defence Personnel in rank of PBORs
- Stepping up of Pay in 7th Pay Commission Pay Level for Defence Personnel
- TA DA – 7th Pay Commission revised travel entitlement for Defence Personnel
- 7th Pay Commission Revised Transport Allowance for Defence Personnel
- MACP scheme after implementation of 7th Pay Commission for JCO and Other Rank Defence Personnel
- LTC for Defence Personnel serving in Armed, Air Force and Navy
- Leave Encashment applicable to Defence Personnel
- Field Allowances for Defence Personnel – Complete list
- Enhanced 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance for Defence Personnel
- 7th Pay Commission Allowances for Defence personnel – An overview
- Types of Leave applicable for Defence Personnel