Articles you may Like
In a reply to query raised in Parliament, the Minister of State for Human Resource Development Dr. D.Purandeswari replied that there has been no exorbitant increase in education expenses in Government schools in the last three years; that Ministry of Human Resource Development does not regulate educational expenses in Private schools and that however, educational expenses in CBSE affiliated schools are regulated by CBSE’s Affiliation Bye- Laws which stipulate that Fee charges in CBSE affiliated schools should be commensurate with the facilities provided by the schools.
She also replied the there is no proposal to raise the children education allowance presently.
We provide here a recap of essential details and the related Office Memorandums issued by DOPT on Children Education Allowance applicable to Central Government Employees.
- Children Education Allowance and Reimbursement of Tuition fees have been merged and the new scheme is known as Children Education Allowance Scheme.
- This scheme can be availed by Government employees upto a maximum of Two Children
- This is applicable for School going children only (nursery to 12th Std including 11th and 12th std conducted by Junior colleges)
- The Scheme has no nexus with the performance of the children in the class.
- The reimbursement is applicable for admission fees, laboratory fees, special fee charged for agriculture, music, electronics or any subject, fee charged for practical work, fees for use of any aid or appliance by the child, library fees, games/sports fees, fees for extra curricular activities, purchase of one set of text books and notebooks, two sets of uniforms and one set of school shoes.
- The annual ceiling for reimbursement of children education allowance is fixed at Rs.12,000/-.
- Hostel subsidy will be reimbursed upto maximum limit of Rs.3000/- per month per child. However, both hostel subsidy, and children education allowance can not be availed concurrently.
- The maximum limits in Children Education allowance and Hostel subsidy would be automatically raised by 25% every time the dearness allowance on the revise pay structure goes up by 50%.
- This scheme is effective from 01-09-08.
- Reimbursement of the children education allowance and Hostel subsidy would be made on production of original receipts self certified by the employee.
Children Education Allowance Scheme was first introduced after implementation of sixth pay commission in OM.No: 12011/3/2008-Estt (Allowance) dated 02.09.2008 and Clarifications were issued under following Office Memorandums
- Office Memorandum dated 2.09.2008. Click here read this order
- Office Memorandum dated 23.11.2009. Click here read this order
- Office Memorandum 12011/16/2009-(Allowance) dated 13.11.2009. Click here read this order
Now DOPT has again clarified certain points on Children Education Allowance Scheme. Those points are
- Whether CEA is admissible to Government Servant who ceases to be in Service due to retirement, discharge, dismissal or removal from service in the course of academic year?
- Whether Children of a Government Servant who dies while in service are still eligible for reimbursement under new CEA Scheme?
- Whether upper age limit of children has been prescribed for claiming CEA?
- Whether CEA can be allowed in case of Children studying through Correspondence or distance learning?
- What is definition of the terms “two sets of uniform”?
- What is definition of “One set of Shoes”?
- what is definition of station for the purpose of hostel subsidy?
- Whether fee paid to organisations/Institutions other than the school or fees paid to private tutors is reimbursable?
The above queries have been clarified by the Clarification dated 30.12.2010.
For more details read this Office Memorandum No. 12011/08/2010-Estt. (AL) dated 30.12.2010
Further, The Department of Personnel and training (DOPT) has issued clarification on the following two points :
Question : (i) whether Children Education Allowance would be admissible beyond two children due to failure of sterilization operation.
Clarification : The reimbursement of Children Education Allowance is admissible only for the first child born after failure of sterilization operation.
Question (ii): whether the admissible amount per annum per child (annual ceiling of Rs.15000/-) on account of CEA can be reimbursed in full in the first quarter of the financial/academic year itself ?
Clarification : It is clarified that a Government servant is allowed to get 50% of the total amount subject to the overall annual ceiling in the first quarter and the remaining amount in third and or fourth quarter. Frontloading of the entire amount in the first and second quarters is not allowed. A Government servant claim full amount subject to annual ceiling of Rs.15000/- in last quarter
For complete details, download the DOPT OM No.12011/16/2009-Estt.(AL) dated 17.06.2011
[wpfilebase tag=list id=2 sort=’>file_date’ showcats=1 /]