Nomination of Liaison Officer for SC, ST, OBC, PwD, EWS and Ex-servicemen and setting up of a Reservation Cell: DOPT
Nomination of Liaison Officer for SC, ST, OBC, PwD, EWS and Ex-servicemen and setting up of a Reservation Cell in each Ministry/ Department: DOPT Order dated 08.12.2022
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated 08 December, 2022
Subject:- Nomination of Liaison Officer for SC, ST, OBC, PwD, EWS and Ex-servicemen and setting up of a Reservation Cell in each Ministry/ Department for enforcement of orders of reservations in posts and services of the Central Government.
The undersigned is directed to say that DoPT, vide its OM No. 43011/153/2010-Estt.(Res), dated 4.1.2013, has issued detailed instructions for appointment of Liaison Officer, not below the rank of Deputy Secretary for Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs) and Persons with Disabilities (PwDs). These instructions also provide for designation of a separate Liaison Officer for Other Backward Classes (OBCs).Further, OM No.36039/1/2019-Estt (Res), dated 31.1.2019 provides for nomination of Liaison Officer for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and OM No. 36034/2/2017-Estt (Res.), dated 31.12.2021, provides for nomination of a Liaison Officer for Ex-servicemen. Instructions also provide for creation of Reservation Cell under the direct control of Liaison Officer to assist him in discharge of his duties.
2. During the sitting of the Parliamentary Committee on the Welfare of Other Backward Classes on 3.11.2022, the Hon’ble Members of the Committee directed this Department to reiterate the provision of separate Liaison Officers for OBCs and nomination of Deputy Secretary in-charge of Administration or any other officer at least of the rank of Deputy Secretary as Liaison Officer. Accordingly, the existing instructions in the matter are reiterated as follows:
A. APPOINTMENT OF LIAISON OFFICERS
(i) Liaison Officer for SCs, STs and PwDs: As per DoPT OM No. 43011/153/2010-Estt.(Res.), dated 4.1.2013, in each Ministry/Department/Attached and Subordinate Office, Deputy Secretary in charge of Administration (or any other officer at least of the rank of Deputy Secretary), shall be designated as Liaison Officer in the Ministries/ Departments in respect of matters relating to the representation of the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Persons with Disabilities.
(ii) Liaison Officer for OBCs: Similarly, the aforesaid instructions, dated 4.1.2013 also provide that Ministries/Departments shall designate a separate Liaison Officer at least of the rank of Deputy Secretary to deal with the matters relating to the representation of the Other Backward Classes.
(iii) Liaison Officer for Ex-servicemen: As per DoPT OM No. 36034/2/2017-Estt.(Res.), dated 31.12.2021, in each Ministry/Department/Attached and Subordinate Office, the Deputy Secretary in charge of administration (or any other officer at least of the rank of Deputy Secretary) should be designated as a Liaison Officer in respect of matters relating to representation of Ex-servicemen, either exclusively or in combination (the Officer already appointed as Liaison Officer for other categories), may be appointed as Liaison Officer for Ex-Servicemen also, depending upon the availability of Officer of the requisite rank. The particulars and contact details of Liaison Officer, so appointed, may be intimated to the Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare.
(iv) Liaison Officer for Economically Weaker Section (EWS): DoPT OM No.36039/1/2019-Estt.(Res), dated 31.1.2019, also provides that the Ministries/Departments/Attached and Subordinate Offices shall appoint Liaison Officer to monitor the implementation of reservation for EWSs.
B. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LIAISON OFFICERs: The Liaison Officer is responsible for:
- Ensuring due compliance by the Ministry/ Department and subordinate appointing authorities with the orders and instructions pertaining to the reservation of vacancies in favour of the category for which, he/she is a liaison officer i.e. Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Persons with Disabilities, Other Backward Classes, Economically Weaker Sections and Ex-servicemen. In addition, he/she shall also ensure that other benefit admissible to them.
- Ensuring timely submission of reports regarding appointment/representation of SC, ST, OBC, PwD and EWS by each appointing authority in the Ministry/Department concerned. He shall also ensure scrutiny and consolidation of the above reports in respect of all establishments and services in and under the control of the Ministry/Department, and sending the consolidated reports, in the prescribed proformae, to the Department of Personnel & Training. In case of Ex-servicemen, the Liaison Officer concerned shall ensure maintenance of reservation rosters and preparation of reports on appointment/representation of Ex-servicemen, in the formats as prescribed by the Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare, and timely submission of these reports to the Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare.
- The Liaison officers, designated for SC/ST/OBC, have to endorse the non-availability of an SC/ST/OBC Officer for being associated in the DPC before the DPC is actually conducted without a SC/ST/OBC Member. Therefore, it will be one of the duties of the Liaison Officers to acquaint themselves well in time about the dates of various DPCs to be held in future. He should maintain with him a ready list of officers of various levels, belonging to SC/ST/OBC of a few sister Departments/Ministries, so that whenever requirement arises, an SC/ST/OBC officer of appropriate level, consistent with the level of the other members of the DPC, and the level of appointment for which a DPC is proposed to be convened, can always be associated as a member. Such a list may be prepared by the Liaison Officers concerned by informally consulting the administrative wing of other Ministries/Departments.
- Ensuring that while making a reference to the Department of Personnel and Training and to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes/the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes for de-reservation of reserved vacancies, full details in support of the proposal for de-reservation are given.
- Ensuring the extension of necessary assistance to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes, National Commission for OBC and the Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in the investigation of complaints received by them from the officer(s) of respective category with regard to service matters and also in collection of information for their annual reports. In respect of EWS and PwBD, the concerned Liaison Officers shall extend all help to Grievance Redressal Officers appointed in respect of EWS and PwD reservation.
- Conducting annual inspection of the reservation registers/rosters maintained in the Ministry/Department/Offices under the control of the Ministry/Department with a view to ensuring proper implementation of the reservation orders.
- Acting as Liaison Officer between the Ministry/Department and the Department of Personnel & Training (Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare in case of matters relating to Ex-servicemen) for supply of information, answering questions and queries and clearing doubts in respect of matters covered by the reservation orders.
C. CONSTITUTION OF RESERVATION CELL:
Each Ministry/Department is required to set up a Special Reservation Cell within the Ministry/Department under the direct control of the Liaison Officer to assist the Liaison Officer in discharging of his duties effectively.
D. PRIVILEGES OF THE LIAISON OFFICER:
Cases of negligence or lapse in the matter of following the reservation and other orders relating to SC, ST, OBCs, PwDs, EWS and Ex-servicemen coming to the light through the inspections carried out by the Liaison Officer, or otherwise shall be reported/submitted by him direct to the Secretary/Additional Secretary to the Government of India in the respective Ministry/ Department or to the Head of the Department in respect of offices under the Heads of Department, as the case may be. The concerned Secretary/Additional Secretary/Head of the Department shall pass necessary orders on such reports to ensure strict compliance of the reservation orders by the appointing authority concerned.
E. APPOINTMENT OF LIAISON OFFICERS IN ESTABLISHMENTS/ ORGANISATIONS UNDER THE MINISTRY/DEPARTMENT
Establishments/Organisations under the Government of India such as Public Sector Undertakings, Statutory and Semi Government Bodies, Autonomous Bodies/ Institutions including Municipal Corporations, Co-operative Institutions, Universities, Voluntary Agencies, receiving grants in aid from the Government, shall also appoint Liaison Officers in the same manner as is existing in the Ministries/Departments.
F. SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LIAISON OFFICERS OF THE MINISTRIES/DEPARTMENTS TOWARDS IMPLEMENTATION OF RESERVATION POLICIES IN THE ESTABLISHMENTS UNDER THE GOVERNMENT:
The Liaison Officer of a Ministry/Department has to act as Liaison Officer in respect of the matters relating to the representation SCs/STs/PwDs, OBCs, Ex-servicemen and EWS in all establishments and services under the administrative control of the Ministry/Department. The appointment of Liaison Officers separately by the Organisations under the Government of India such as Public Sector Undertakings, Statutory and Semi Government Bodies, Autonomous Bodies/ Institutions, including Municipal Corporations, Co-operative Institutions, Universities, Voluntary Agencies receiving grants in aid from the Government etc. does not, however, dilute or alter or curtail the responsibilities of the Liaison Officers of the administrative Ministry/ Department with regard to implementation of reservation policy in such organisations. Liaison Officers of the Ministries/ Departments have special responsibility to monitor implementation of reservation policies in these organisations. In order to ensure due compliance of the reservation orders of the Government, the Liaison Officers may periodically visit/ inspect the offices/organizations under them. They should ensure that reservation rosters for these categories have been maintained properly without any gap in the entries made in the rosters. Liaison Officers shall carry out their duties in relation to reservation by calling for records from them and convening meetings with the officers of such organizations as are responsible for ensuring reservation policies in their respective organizations. If Liaison Officers of Ministries/Departments notice that reservation instructions are not being followed by any officers or complaint against any officer for harassment or deliberate manipulation of orders/instructions to harm the interests of the above-mentioned categories, are received they should feel free to report such lapses to the Secretary/ Additional Secretary of the Ministry/Department concerned without fear & hesitation of hierarchical disobedience.
3. As the Liaison Officers so nominated keep on changing due to administrative reasons, such as transfer, promotions, retirement etc., it is desirable that necessary details of the Liaison Officers, such as their names, designations, telephone numbers, emails, fax and complete official addresses are posted and updated as and when required on the official website of the concerned Ministry/ Department.
4. All the Ministries/Departments of the Central Government are requested to bring the contents of this O.M. to the notice of all the appointing authorities and also attached and subordinate offices under their control.
5. Hindi version will follow.
(Sign of Authority)
Under Secretary to the Government of India