Settlement of pension dues where a retiree expires prior to filing Pension papers – DOP&PW
Process to be adopted for settlement of pension dues where a retiree expires prior to filing Pension papers – DOP&PW OM dated 18.02.2021
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel & Public Grievance
Department of Pension and pensioners’ Welfare
8th Floor, Janpath Bhavan,
Janpath, New Delhi,
Dated: 18th February, 2021
Subject: – Process to be adopted for settlement of pension dues where a retiree expires prior to filing Pension papers.
The undersigned is directed to say that Rule 59 of the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rule, 1972 provides for a definite timeline for preparatory work for processing of pension case of a retiring Government servant. The Rule inter alia provides for submission of pension papers by the retiring Government servant six months before the date of superannuation. Instances have, however, been brought to the notice of this Department where a Government servant died after retirement without having submitted the pension papers. As a result of this, the PPO could not be issued to the Government servant after his retirement. This also makes it difficult to sanction family pension to the eligible member of the family of the deceased retired Government. It is, therefore, again emphasized that the timeline for submission and processing of pension papers may be strictly adhered to avoid such situations.
2. The claim of a Government servant for pension accrues as soon as he retires from Government service. Similarly, the claim of the family for family pension accrues on death of a Government servant during service or after retirement. In order to avoid any hardship to the family of a retired Government servant, who dies without submitting the pension papers, it has been decided, in consultation with the office of Controller General of Accounts, that the following procedure may be adopted for processing of the case for sanction of pension in respect of the deceased retired Government servant and for sanction of family pension to his/her family:-
i. The spouse of the deceased retired Government servant or, in the absence of the spouse, a member of his/her family eligible for family pension, may submit the claim in Form 14 (Application for family pension on death of a Government servant/pensioner/family pensioner) along with Form 3 (Details of family), to the Head of Office.
ii. The Head of Office shall process the case in Form 7 (Form for assessing pension, family pension and gratuity):and send Form 7, Form 3, Form 14, Form 20 (Sanction for family pension on death of a pensioner/family pensioner) and a forwarding letter in Form 8 to the PAO for authorization of pension and family pension in respect of the deceased retired Government servant.
iii. The PAO shall authorize the pension (in respect of the deceased retired Government servant) and family pension to the spouse/eligible family member. Only one PPO shall be issued by the PAO authorizing pension and family pension in Part-ll of the PPO. Part-lll of the PPO, which is applicable on death of a Government servant while in service, would not be relevant in such cases.
iv. The payment of arrears of pension for the period from the date following the date of retirement upto the date of death shall be made by the PAO to the family pensioner.
v. The PPO shall, thereafter, be sent to the Pension Disbursing Authority, through the Central Pension Accounting Office (CPAO), for payment of family pension.
3. While forwarding the pension papers to the PAO, the Head of Office shall make an indication in the Check List of Form 7 to the effect that the case pertains to a retired Government servant, who died without submitting the pension papers.
4. The Administrative Divisions of all Ministries/Department, their attached/subordinate offices and Pay & Accounts Offices are requested to bring these instructions to the notice of all concerned for compliance.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
1. All Ministries/Departments of Govt. of India
2. Office of CGA: with reference to comments submitted by them in F.No.12(19)/2020-P&PW/(C)-6569
3. US (Bhavishya)
4. NIC: to upload in the website of this Department and incorporate the change in Bhavishya module.