MACP for Central Government Employees – Consolidated Guidelines issued after 7th Pay Commission implementation
MACP applicable for Central Government Employees – Consolidated guidelines dated 22.10.2019 issued by Govt after implementation of 7th Pay commission recommendations
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
North Block, New Delhi -110001
Dated the 22nd October, 2019
SUBJECT:- CONSOLIDATED GUIDELINES REGARDING MODIFIED ASSURED CAREER PROGRESSION SCHEME FOR THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES.
The Seventh Central Pay Commission in Para 5.1.44 of its report, recommended that Modified Assured Career Progression Scheme (MACPS) will continue to be administered at 10, 20 and 30 years as before. In the new Pay matrix, the employees will move to the immediate next Level in the hierarchy. As per the recommendations, the Scheme will be available to all posts, including Group “A” posts, whether isolated or not. However, Organised Group “A” Services will not be covered under the Scheme. In other words, MACPS will continue to be applicable to all employees up to HAG level, except members of Organised Group ‘A’ Services.
2. The Government has considered the recommendations of the Seventh Central Pay Commission for continuation of MACPS and has accepted the same. The MACPS will continue to be administered at 10, 20 and 30 years as before. Under the Scheme, the employee will move to immediate next Pay Level in the new Pay Matrix.
3. The Scheme shall continue to be applicable to all regularly appointed Group “A”(except officers of the Organised Group “A” Services), “B”, and “C” Central Government Civilian Employees. Casual employees, including those granted ‘temporary status’ and employees appointed in the Government on adhoc or contract basis shall not qualify for benefits under the aforesaid Scheme. The details of the MACP Scheme and conditions for grant of the financial upgradation under the Scheme are given in Annexure-1.
4. A Screening Committee shall be constituted in each Department to consider the case for grant of financial upgradations under the MACP Scheme. The Screening Committee shall consist of a Chairperson and two members. The members of the Committee shall comprise officers holding posts which are at least one level above the level in which the MACP is to be considered and not below the rank of Under Secretary equivalent in the Government. The Chairperson should generally be a level above the members of the Committee.
5. In cases where the Appointing Authority is the President and the Screening Committee is constituted in the Secretariat of the Ministry/Department, then the power to approve the recommendations of the Screening Committee is delegated to the Secretary of such Ministry or Department. In cases where the Appointing Authority• is the President and the Screening Committee is constituted in an organization (for e.g., field office, attached/ subordinate office, etc), then the power to approve the recommendations of the Screening Committee is delegated to the Head of such organization. In all other cases, the power to approve the recommendations of the Screening Committee shall be with the Appointing Authority.
6. In order to prevent undue strain on the administrative machinery, the Screening Committee shall follow a time-schedule and meet twice in a financial year. Accordingly, cases maturing• during the first-half of a particular financial year (April-September) shall be taken up for consideration by the Screening Committee meeting in the first week of January. Similarly, the Screening Committee meeting in the first week of July shall process the cases that would be maturing during the second-half of the financial year (October.,.March).
7. In so far as . persons serving in the Indian Audit and Accounts Departments are concerned, these orders issue after consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
8.. Any interpretation/ clarification of doubt as•to the scope and meaning of the provisions of the MACP Scheme shall be given by the Department of Personnel and Training (Establishment-D). The MACP Scheme continues to be effective from 01.09.2008.
9. No stepping up of pay in the level would be admissible with regard to junior getting more pay than the senior on account of pay fixation under MACP Scheme.
10. Hindi version will follow.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
Check the following links related to this topic: