Ration Allowance and Special Ration Allowance granted to Defence Personnel in rank of PBORs
Ration Allowance and Special Ration Allowance granted to Defence Personnel in rank of PBORs after implementation of 7th Pay Commission recommendations
3.6. RATION ALLOWANCES.
(i) NRA :
Ration allowance is provided to PBORs at the rates notified by the Government from time to time, as per provisions of para 172 of Pay & Allowance Regulation.
Conditions for admissibility of ration allowance:
1. Lower Rate : When Government is in a position to supply free rations but the PBOR for his own convenience prefers to draw an allowance in lieu.
2. Higher Rate :
a. When owing to sickness or other disability, the PBOR is unable to consume his normal ration and no articles are drawn for him.
b. When it is not possible or economical to Government to supply free ration.
c. When the distance between the PBOR’s place of residence and unit ration stand or retail shop ASC is more.
3. Special Rate
Special Rate of Ration Allowance is admissible under various condition laid down in Para 172 ‘d’ to ‘n’ of Pay & Allowance Regulation.
4. The rates of NRA are notified by the Government and revised w.e.f. 1st April of each year.
5. Recruits will be paid monthly normal rate of Ration Allowance during leave period.
6. Ration allowance will be paid to the recruits only on publication of DO II.
7. While on sick leave, Normal rate of Ration Allowance would be admissible for the period beyond the first 75 days.
8. A PBOR on leave is not entitled to the issue of free rations. He is only entitled to normal ration allowance.
9. The DO II for grant of ration allowance should accompany a certificate of non issue of ration in kind.
10. PBORs while serving with Inter Service Organisations who are entitled to draw ration money will be authorised ration allowance at rates notified from time to time on the basis of common ration scales as laid down in AI 18/76.
11. The OC of the unit will be competent to sanction ration allowance at the appropriate rate according to the circumstances of each case.
– The grant of the allowance will be notified in DO II
– The DO II sanctioning the grant of higher rate of ration allowances sill specify the particular condition/reasons which warranted the grant of higher rate.
12. When it is not possible to issue rations in kind to troops travelling by rail or road, the CO may issue ration allowance admissible in advance to cover the period of the journey.
13. Ration allowance is not admissible in addition to daily allowance.
(ii) SPECIAL RATION ALLOWANCE (SRA)
RULE POSITION :
1. As per Army Instruction No. 28/90 JCOs/OR are auth to draw Special ration Allowance only in the following conditions. :
(a) When travelling by rail/road on leave.
(b) When employed on movement control duties at a station where they are obliged to take their meals in a refreshment room.
(c) When detained on temporary duty at a station, outstation or attending camps where rations cannot be supplied by Govt.
(d) When employed on Courier duty.
(e) When employed on secret equipment duty.
(f) When patients travel by ambulance convoy or ordinary train provided free rations are not issued.
(g) When TB Patients travel on recommendations of Medical Board after they have been invalidated out of services, provided free rations are not issued.
(2) Drawal of SRA on any conditions other than conditions specified in Para 1(a) to (g) is not permissible.
(Auth : QMG Br . IHQ MOD Letter no. 12045/Q/ST6(Army/raksha) dt. 22.07.2013)
2. There is no provision to admit SRA to Service personel posted to NCC Units in non-military Station and are entitled for normal Ration only. SRA will be admissible while attending NCC Camps with the sanction of Commander NCC Group HQr. Upto 30 days and Dy. Director NCC (State) beyond 30 days.
(Auth ; CGDA New Delhi Circular no. AT/I/3500/PC Pune dt. 04.08.2000)
3. Special Ration allowance claim, while the JCO / ORs attending camps, where the ration cannot be supplied by Government, is regulated as under.
4. The individual will be entitled to actual expenses including fee if any for dak bungalow, etc; as certified by the OC unit subject to maximum rate as laid down in Para i(c) of AI 28/90. Sanction of the Competent authority-BDE / Sub Area / equivalent commander-will be looked for when the period is in excess of 10 days & up to 30 days.
5. Individuals while serving with Inter Service Organisations / Units / Air OP flights / Squadrons who are entitled to draw ration money will be authorized ration allowance at rates notified from time to time on the basis of common ration scales as laid down in AI 18/76.
6. When travelling by sea between mainland and islands on duty on ships other than Naval Ships and government is not in a position to provide them passage with diet, shipping companies do not issue passage tickets inclusive of diet, individual will be entitled to actual expenses incurred and charged for by the shipping company for the diet during the voyage period as certified by his company subject to the provision that no daily/messing allowance/ ration allowance will be admissible in addition.
7. A soldier on leave is not entitled to the issue of free rations. He is entitled only to Normal Ration Allowance.
8. When Part II Orders are issued for grant of ration allowance a certificate of non – issue of ration in kind will also be looked for.
9. The special rate of Ration Allowance includes mineral water and ice allowance which has been abolished as separate allowance.
(Authority : Rule 172, P & A Reg(OR)ARMY)
REASON FOR REJECTION:
- Overlapping with TYOJ
Also checkout following topics in Handbook on 7th Pay Commission Pay and Allowances for Defence personnel
- 7th Pay Commission Accommodation Allowance for Defence Personnel
- Stepping up of Pay in 7th Pay Commission Pay Level for Defence Personnel
- TA DA – 7th Pay Commission revised travel entitlement for Defence Personnel
- 7th Pay Commission Revised Transport Allowance for Defence Personnel
- MACP scheme after implementation of 7th Pay Commission for JCO and Other Rank Defence Personnel
- LTC for Defence Personnel serving in Armed, Air Force and Navy
- Leave Encashment applicable to Defence Personnel
- Field Allowances for Defence Personnel – Complete list
- Enhanced 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance for Defence Personnel
- 7th Pay Commission Allowances for Defence personnel – An overview
- Types of Leave applicable for Defence Personnel