7th Pay Commission Fixation of Pay on Promotion – Agenda Item 4 submitted by Central Government Employees Staff Side JCM before 7th CPC Anomaly Committee
Item No 4
Fixation of Pay on Promotion
The Fundamental Rule 22 (I) (a) (i) is reproduced here under;
“When a Government Servant promoted / appointed to a higher post which involves assumption of duties and responsibilities of greater importance than those attached to such permanent post, he will draw as initial pay the stage of the time scale next above his substantive pay in respect of the old post”.
In the existing Pay Matrix the vertical stages are same in most of the Levels, such Level 2 & 3, 6 & 7, 7 & 8, and 6 & 8 etc. Because of this, if an employee is promoted under the regular promotion scheme or MACP his pay will be almost the same. This has happened only because Rule 13 of the revised Pay Rules, 2016 the fixation of pay on promotion is stipulated in the manner stated in para 1 above. In other words, the omission of the words at the stage next above the notional pay in FR was changed to a cell equal to the figure so arrived at.
The above stated stipulation imposes reduced / or no financial benefit to an employee on promotion. In many cases the benefit has now become equivalent to one annual increment. The clause in the exisiting FR subject to a minimum has also been omitted in the revised pay rules.
In the existing pay matrix, the stages are same in most of the levels such level 2 & 3, 6 & 7, 7 &8, 6 & 8 etc. In this situation, if an employee is promoted/upgrated under MACPS from one level to another level, his pay will be almost same as he may drew even without promotion.
For example, an employee (Senior Accountant) working in Level 6 (erstwhile GP 4200) and drawing pay of Rs 47600/- (Cell – II in Level 6) with effect from 01.07.2016 after annual increment, is granted MACPS to level 7 (erstwhile GP 4600) or promoted to the post of Asstt, Accounts Officer (AAO) to level 8 (erstwhile GP 4800) with effect from 01.04.2017, his pay will be fixed as under, as per Rule -13 of CCS (RP) Rules 2016 –
1. Basic Pay in the revived pay structure (Level -6) -47600
2. On upgradation under MACPS to Level -7 -49000
3. On promotion to higher level (AAO) Level -8 -49000
4. On drawing one increment (without promotion or MACPS) Level-6 -49000
It can be seen that there is no improvement on promotion/upgradation, which can never be the intention.
Necessary amendment in the Rule-13 that – “on promotion/upgradation of an employee, if the stage/cell on pay fixation is equal in the promoted/upgraded level, he shall be placed at the next higher cell/stage in the promoted scale (Level)’ – may be made.
Checkout the links below to read Topic wise Agenda for 7th Pay Commission Anomaly Committee
- Minutes Of First NAC Meeting Held On 17.07.2018
- 7th Pay Commission: After no pay hike, here is more bad news for CG employees
- Anomalies in Implementation of 6th and 7th Pay Commission
- 7th Pay Commission anomaly – Reply by Staff Side for Govt Comments
- Govt terms 7th Pay Commission Minimum Pay, Multiplication factor, and Date of Effect of Allowances are not Pay Anomaly – Staff Side will have to find a way out now
- 7th Pay Commission Minimum Pay, Multiplication Factor and Date of Effect of Allowances – Reaction of Confederation
- 7th Pay Commission Pension Fixation – Anomaly arising out of rejection of Option 1 recommended by 7th CPC
- Lesser Pay in Higher level of 7th Pay Commission Pay Matrix – Anomaly Committee Meeting Agenda
- 7th Pay Commission Bunching Steps in revised pay Structure – Anomaly Committee Meeting Agenda
- 7th Pay Commission HRA, Children Education Allowance etc should to be paid from 1st January 2016 – Staff Side JCM
- 7th Pay Commission minimum Pension – Anomaly Committee Meeting Agenda
- 7th Pay Commission Pay Matrix anomaly arising out of index rationalisation
- 7th Pay Commission Pay Anomaly – Removal of same stage in different level of Pay Matrix
- 7th Pay Commission Fixation of Pay on Promotion – Anomaly Committee Meeting Agenda
- 7th Pay Commission Bunching – Removal of 3% increment to grant bunching – Agenda for Anomaly