7th Pay Commission Pay fixation of SCS/Non-SCS officers promoted to IAS
Pay fixation of SCS/Non-SCS officers promoted to IAS under the implementation of 7th CPC recommendations – DOPT Clarification
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension
Department of Personnel & Training
New Delhi, dated the 6th March, 2019
The Chief Secretaries of all States/UTs
Subject: Pay fixation of SCS/Non-SCS officers promoted to IAS subsequent to the implementation of 7th CPC recommendations-reg.
In partial modification to this Department’s letter of even number dated the 28th February, 2019 on the above mentioned subject, I am directed to say that the initial pay of a promoted officer or an officer appointed by selection as the case may be shall be fixed at the stage of the senior scale next above his actual pay. There is no provision of increment at the stage of initial fixation.
2. Rule 5(6) of IAS (Pay) Rules, 2016 provides for the fixation of pay of a Member of Service on promotion to Selection Grade (Level-13) of Pay Matrix by adding one increment in the Level-12 of Pay Matrix and two additional increments in the Level 13 io which he is promoted. Rule 5(5) of IAS (Pay) Rules, 2016 provides that the pay of a member of the Service in the Senior Time Scale shall, on promotion to the Junior Administrative Grade be fixed.in Level 12 of the Pay Matrix.
3. In respect of fixation of pay of officers who were promoted/Selected in IAS through SCS/Non-SCS respectively in Senior Time Scale/Junior Administrative Grade after 01.01.2016, the initial pay shall be fixed in the respective level of the Senior Scale i.e Level: 11,12 or 13 based on the year of allotment in the IAS. However, the pay drawn in the State Civil Services will be protected in the concerned Level. An illustration is as under:
Shri X who is drawing pay at Rs. 48920 (Rs.40220 [pay in the pay band + GP Rs.8700] is promoted/selected to lAS on 04.03.2016. lie is allotted 2010 batch. The pay on promotion/selection to lAS would be as under:
|1.||Last pay drawn by the officer in the State (as on 04.03.2016)||Rs.48920/-|
|2.||Date of promotion in IAS||04.03.2016|
|3.||Year of allotment||2010|
|4.||Pay fixation in IAS as on 04.03.2016 as per 7th CPC (The officer has the option either to get the pay fixed from the date of promotion or from the date of annual increment)||Rs.48920 X 2.57 =125725. Next stage available at Level 11 is 126300/-|
|5.||Pay fixed in IAS||Rs.126300 at Level II in the Pay Matrix|
4. The pay of IAS officers who were promoted/selected in IAS through SCS/Non-SCS respectively prior to 01.01.2016 will be converted as per 7 CPC on 01.01.2016 and they shall be placed in the Level in the Pay Matrix in accordance with the length of service as per the allotment year. However, pay of those officers, who are to get promoted to JAG/Selection Grade of IAS on 01.01.2016, will be first converted notionally on 01.01.2016 as per 7″ CPC (i.e before promotion) and shall be placed notionally in the Level of Pay Matrix, in accordance with the length of service as per their allotment year, at the stage of the senior scale. On their actual promotion to JAG/Selection Grade, the pay of these officers will then be fixed as per IAS (Pay) Rules, 2016. That is, the officers will be eligible for two additional increments on their actual promotions to Level 12/ Level 13 after completion of 9/13 years of service in lAS respectively. An Illustration is as under:
|Date of appointment in IAS||23.2.2015|
|Year of allotment in IAS||2007|
|Last substantive pay in SCS||Rs,46100 in PB-4 (37400-67000) + 8700|
|Pay to be arrived at after grant of one increment as on 23.2.2015||As per IAS (Pay) Rules, 2007, after grant of one increment @ 3% pay to be fixed is Rs.47483 in PB-4 with GP 8700|
|Actual Promotion of the officer in JAG of IAS||01.01.2016|
Pay to be fixed on 01.01.2016 subsequent to the Implementation of 7th CPC recommendation
|Pay as on 01.01.2016 (as per 7th CPC)||Rs.47483×2.57=122031
Nearest figure available to 122031 in Level 11 of the Pay Matrix 122600 in Level 11 of the Pay Matrix.
[As the officer has only 8 (eight) years of residency in lAS, after protection of his pay, he shall be placed at 122600 in Level 11 of the Pay Matrix].
|Pay to be reckoned for fixation of pay in JAG on 01.01.2016||Rs. 122600 Level 11 in Pay Matrix|
|One increment at the Junior level||126300 at Level 11 in Pay Matrix|
|Placement after grant of one increment in the lower level.||
126600 at Level 12 in Pay Matrix
|Two increments at the promoted Level (Level 12)||1st increment = 130400 at Level 12
2nd increment = 134300 at Level 12
|Pay to be fixed on 01.01.2016 actual promotion to JAG in IAS||Rs.134300 at Level 12.|
5. The provision contained in part (7) of Schedule-I of AS (Pay) Rules, 2016, which provides that ‘Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, the pay of a promoted officer or an officer appointed by selection, as the case may be, shall not at any time exceed the basic pay which he would have drawn as a direct recruit on that date if he had been appointed to the Indian Administrative Service on the date on which he was appointed to the State Civil Service or in a Gazetted post in the non-State Civil Service, after attaining the age of twenty five years, as the case may be” shall be adhered to.
6. This issues with the approval of the competent authority.
(Vasanthi V Babu)
Under Secretary to the Government of India