Income tax Return Queries for Assessment Year 2019-20

Income Tax (30th Amendment) Rules, 2021 - CBDT

The last date for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) for the assessment year 2019-20 is coming closer, fast. The Income-Tax Department had released ITR for AY 2019-20 via a notification in April this year. Later, the tax department also released instructions for filing ITR forms. However, several queries were raised by the stakeholders in respect of filling-up of the ITR forms. Most of the queries were primarily concerned with respect to the reporting of certain details in the ITR forms, such as reporting of directorship in a foreign company, reporting of equity shares listed outside India, unlisted shares which were previously listed, reporting of unlisted shares received by way of gift, will, amalgamation etc. and reporting of certain assets held as stock-in-trade. If you also had any such query, the income tax department is here to help you out. The CBDT has now come out with a circular that answers most of the queries raised by taxpayers. While you can access all these queries on the Income Tax website, here’s a list of five important questions answered by the CBDT.

Question.1: I am a non-resident. The Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is not allotted in my jurisdiction of residence. How do I report the same in the column on “residential status”?

Answer: In case TIN has not been allotted in the jurisdiction of residence, the passport number should be mentioned instead of TIN. Name of the country in which the passport was issued should be mentioned in the column “jurisdiction of residence”.

Question.2: I am a director in a foreign company which does not have PAN. How do I report the same against the column “Whether you were Director in a company at any time during the previous year?”

Answer: You should choose “foreign company” in the drop-down provided for “type of company”. In such case, PAN is not mandatory. However, PAN should be mentioned, if such foreign company has been allotted a PAN.

Question.3: Whether an individual who is a non-resident, or resident but not ordinary resident (RoNR) is also required to disclose details of his directorship in a foreign company which does not have any income accruing or arising in India?

Answer: Yes.

Question.4: I have held shares of a company during the previous year, which are listed in a recognized stock exchange outside India. Whether I am required to report the requisite details against the column “Whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year?”

Answer: No.

Question.5: I have held equity shares of a company which were previously listed in a recognised stock exchange, but delisted subsequently, and became unlisted. How do I report PAN of company in the column “whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year”?

Answer: In such cases, PAN of the company may be furnished if it is available. In case PAN of delisted company cannot be obtained, you may enter a default value in place of PAN, as “NNNNN0000N”.

Source: zeebiz