SOP on COVID-19 Vaccination of Persons without prescribed Identity Cards through CoWIN
SOP on COVID-19 Vaccination of Persons without prescribed Identity Cards through CoWIN – MOHFW
SOPs on COVID-19 Vaccination of Persons without prescribed Identity Cards through CoWIN
1. India’s National Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy is based on scientific and epidemiological evidence and focuses on systematic end-to-end planning. Phase-I of the National Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy was launched on 16th January 2021 and focused on protecting Health Care Workers (HCWs) and Front Line Workers (FLWs). Phase-II was initiated from 1st March 2021 and 1st April 2021 and focused on protecting the most vulnerable i.e. population more than 45 years of age. Liberalised Pricing and Accelerated National Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy came in effect from 1st May 2021 under which COVID-19 Vaccination was opened for persons 18-44 years of age groups.
2. In all these phases, it has been prescribed that the beneficiary must either self-register or be registered in Co-WIN portal and that the identity and eligibility of the beneficiary be verified by vaccinator through one of the following seven prescribed individual Photo ID Proof prior to vaccination, namely –
i. Aadhar Card
ii. Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) – Voter ID
iv. Driving License
v. PAN Card
vi. NPR Smart Card
vii. Pension Document with photograph.
3. Ministry is cognizant of the need for facilitating COVID-19 vaccination for all people, and especially the vulnerable groups who may not possess any of the seven prescribed Identity Cards. The Ministry has also received several representations from various state governments and agencies/organizations regarding COVID-19 Vaccination of such people who do not have any of the seven prescribed Identity Cards, required for verification before vaccination.
4. In this context, there is need to provide special consideration to vulnerable population of the country, as these beneficiaries are also at risk of exposure to COVID-19 infection and the consequent sequalae and outcomes of the disease, during the pandemic. Further they may not have any official Photo ID card like other citizens, but COVID-19 Vaccination services may not be denied in absence of Identity Proofs.
5. In view of the above, following procedure, developed in consultation with the technical experts, is hereby prescribed for providing vaccination coverage to people who do not possess any of the seven Identity Cards prescribed for availing COVID vaccination services–
i. Such groups of people include nomads (including sadhu/saints from various religions), prison inmates, inmates in Mental Health Institutions, citizens in Old Age Homes, road side beggars, people residing in rehabilitation centres/camps and any other identified eligible persons, aged 18 years or more, and not having any of the seven prescribed individual Photo ID Cards.
ii. District Task Force may identify such groups of persons in respective districts not having any of the prescribed individual Photo ID Cards with assistance from concerned government department/ organisation like department of minority affairs, social justice, social welfare etc.
iii. The information regarding the identified groups and the number of beneficiaries to be covered, must be collated at the state level and the state government must issue clear instructions for implementation of these SOPs along with the district-wise estimated maximum number of doses to be administered using this special dispensation. A copy of such instructions must be displayed in public domain and should also be endorsed to the Ministry.
iv. A Key Facilitator may also be identified for each such group. The Key Facilitator must have a valid and active mobile phone and must also have at least one of the seven mandated ID cards. These could be officials of the institutions (both public or private) which normally provide care and services to people in the identified groups, e.g. Prison officials for prison inmates, Executive Officer/Superintendent of and Old Age Home etc.
v. A district nodal officer may be designated by the DTF, for identification of Key Facilitators, preparation of vaccination plan, identification of CVCs where vaccination sessions are to be organised, preparation of vaccination schedule, communication of vaccination schedule to the identified groups/beneficiaries and mobilization of beneficiaries as per vaccination plan.
vi. District Immunization Officer (DIO) will be responsible for organization of vaccination sessions at identified CVCs for providing coverage to the identified groups.
vii. The CoWIN system will provide the facility for creation of special vaccination sessions for this purpose. The session will have following features –
i. Registration of as many beneficiaries as are to be covered (subject to the limit of session capacity), without mandatory capturing of Mobile Number and Photo ID Card, through facilitated cohort registration.
ii. All vaccination slots in such special sessions will be reserved for vaccination of such facilitated cohorts.
iii. This facility will only be available at government CVCs.
iv. Information such as name, year of birth (as provided by the beneficiary) and gender will be entered in the CoWIN system for the beneficiaries.
v. The Key Facilitator shall verify the identity of the beneficiaries.
vi. Digital vaccination certificates are to be provided to the beneficiaries, preferably at the Vaccination Center itself.
viii. The District Nodal Officer will be personally responsible to ensure that the special dispensation provided through these instructions, is extended only to cover such persons who do not have any of the seven mandated Photo ID Cards.
ix. Vaccine doses made available through the Government of India channel may be used for vaccination of beneficiaries aged 45 years or more and the vaccine doses procured by the State/UT Government may be used for those aged 18 years to 44 years.
x. All technical protocols as prescribed in the Guidelines of the Ministry regarding vaccination centres and AEFI management etc., must be followed.