Retention of Departmental Pool Accommodation on posting to Customs Preventive Stations in Remote/Border Areas – Relaxation of existing instructions – OM dated 27.08.2008
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Excise & Customs
New Delhi, 27th August, 2008
All Chief Commissioners/ Director Generals under CBEC
Subject: Retention of Departmental Pool Accommodation on Transfer from one station to another – Relaxation of existing instructions – regarding
I am directed to mention that the Board has received references from various field formations requesting for relaxation of existing instructions for retention of departmental pool accommodation in certain specific situations. All such requests were considered by the Board in its meeting held on 23.07.2008. Alter detailed deliberations, the following decisions were taken:
Retention of Departmental Accommodation on posting to Customs Preventive Stations in Remote/Border Areas:
2. A number of Customs Preventive Stations are located in remote/border areas, Which do not have educational/ health/ other civic amenities, due to which officers posted to these stations are not in a position to shift their families. Further, the duties to be performed by officers in such stations are of arduous nature involving extensive road and sea patrolling, besides host of other anti – smuggling activities. In such a situation, if these officers are required to vacate their departmental accommodation in their earlier place of posting, it puts them to serious inconvenience.
3. The Board had earlier considered this matter and issued comprehensive instructions vide letter F.No.213/1/96-Ad.VIII(EC) dated 19.01.1996 (copy enclosed), to the effect that whenever officers/ staff are posted to Customs Preventive Stations in remote/ border areas, they shall he allowed to retain their departmental accommodation in their previous place of posting. It is hereby reiterated that these instructions shall continue to remain valid and shall be applicable all over the country. These instructions dated 19.01.1996 shall not be treated as superseded by the subsequent instructions vide F.No. 213/7/2006- Ad. VIII(EC) dated 05.02.2007. The officers posted to Customs Preventive Stations in remote/ border areas shall he entitled to retain their departmental pool accommodation in their earlier place of posting on payment of normal license fees. The Concerned Cheif Commissioners, Directors General shall have the powers to allow such retention of accommodation to the officers/ staff under their jurisdiction.
Relaxation of instructions for retention of Departmental Accommodation in case surplus Quarters are available:
4. The Board noted that in a number of locations, the number of quarter available is much more them the demand for such quarters from the officers/staffs posted in such locations. As a result, a number of quarters remain unoccupied, which results not only in loss of revenue to the Government in the form of license fees, be also in lack or proper maintenance of the quarters as also their safety/security. These problems could be avoided if these surplus quarters could be allotted to the officers posted out of the stations for use by their families staying behind. This would also be an important staff welfare measure.
5. Accordingly, it has been decided that wherever surplus quarters arc available for which there are no takers, the same could be allotted to officers/ staff posted out of the station, for use by their families staying behind, on payment of normal license fees, subject to the condition that such allotment shall be made for one year at a time and during the annual review thereof, if any locally posted officer/ staff ever interest in getting such quarters, he shall get preference. The concerned Chief Commissioners/ Directors General shall have the powers to allow such allotment retention of accommodation to the officers/ staff under their jurisdiction.
6. The above instructions may kindly be brought to the notice of all conditions for information and necessary action.