Central Government Pension Qualifying Service – Frequently Asked Questions

Central Government Employees Pension Qualifying Service – Frequently Asked Questions updated as on 04.11.2013 compiled and issued by Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare (Pensioners Portal)


B.1 Does all leave period qualify for pension and gratuity?

All leave for which leave salary is payable qualifies for pension and gratuity. Extraordinary leave (EOL) on medical certificate (MC) also qualifies for pension and gratuity. EOL without MC qualifies only on account of inability to join duty on civil commotion or when granted for a higher scientific & technical study qualifies.

B.2 Is the benefit of counting of past service under Rule 19 available to ex-servicemen re-employed to civil service/post?

An ex-serviceman re-employed to the Civil Post/service on or before 31.12.2003 is covered under CCS(Pension)Rules, 1972. Therefore the benefit of Rule 19 also becomes automatically available to him. An ex-serviceman re-employed in civil service on or after 1.1.2004 is covered by the New Pension Scheme and is not covered under the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972. Therefore the benefit of Rule 19 is not available to the ex-serviceman on re-employment on or after 1.1.2004.
Under Rule 26 (2) “A resignation shall not entail forfeiture of past service if it has been submitted to take up, with proper permission, another appointment, whether temporary or permanent, under the Government where service qualifies”. This also applies to a Govt. servant who joined Govt. service before 1/1/2004 and takes up another appointment in the Govt., on or after 1.1.2004.

Check also following Central Government Pensioners related FAQ

Source: Pensioners Portal


  1. i served in Border security force ministry of home affairs Govt of India for 10 years 06 month and comes under new pension scheme. please tell me whether I am eligible for gratuity or not.

  2. My father is 75yrs old never received a pension and am told his wife is gets one so they should share the money (ex teacher) this create animosity in the household as only the wife brings in money I have to pay the rates and water/electricity account because my mother is staying with my sister out of town.
    I also cant afford this but have know option if the bills are not paid we can loose the house and this is the last think that we need.
    Please advice on what to do in this regard.

Comments are closed.