7th CPC recommends higher grade pay for Railway Commercial clerk, Reservation Clerk and ticket checking staff- Three categories to be merged and then placed in the appropriate level in the new pay matrix
7th Pay Commission proposes that all these cadres are to be merged and called as Railwy Commercial ant Ticketing Staff. 50% posts which require class XII qualification will have to selected and like wise 50% of posts for which graduation will be eligibility will be selected through RRB. Both these posts will be upgraded to Grade Pay of Rs 2000 and Rs. 2800 respectively prior fixation of new pay under 7CPC. The remaining post after selection through RRB will have to be filled through promotion
There are three categories of Commercial Staff–Commercial Clerks, Enquiry Cum Reservation Clerks (ECRCs) and Ticket Checking staff (TTEs and TCs). They are responsible for commercial duties like issuing of tickets–unreserved as well as reserved, handling enquiries, checking of tickets on board trains, etc. Their present structure, along with the employee strength in each GP is as follows:
% of Total
For Commercial Clerks, the minimum educational qualification stipulated is Class X. Entry into the cadre is only at GP 2000 – 50 percent direct recruitment through RRB; 33 1/3% through LDCE from eligible erstwhile Gr.D staff of Traffic and Commercial Departments with three years of continuous service; 16 2/3% through promotion of matriculate employees in GP 1800 from eligible categories.
For ECRCs, graduation is the minimum requirement, with entry GP2800.
Entry in Ticket Checking staff is at GP 1900–50% direct recruitment by RRB with the minimum educational qualification of Class X and the remaining 50 percent filled by promotion–33.33% by General Selection and 16.66 percent by LDCE with minimum qualification of Class X.
All the three categories have demanded improvement in their pay structure. Representations have also been received to upgrade the entry level qualification of Commercial Clerks and Ticket Checking staff from the current level of Class X to graduation. It has also been stated that with the proliferation of technology for booking unreserved and reserved tickets, the requirement of Commercial Clerks and ECRCs is going down. At the same time, with an increase in the number of trains, the need for Ticket Checking staff is on the rise. Hence, it has been suggested that these three cadres should be merged.
Analysis and Recommendations
The Commission analysed the year-wise data pertaining to the percentage of reserved tickets booked at the counters vis-à-vis those booked through the internet:
Reservations on Indian Railways
A clear trend towards increase in internet booking is visible, so much so that internet booking has now exceeded the counter booking. With the introduction of innovative technological solutions for the unreserved sector, like the recently launched mobile application, the counter sales of unreserved tickets are also likely to go down.
Hence, the Commission finds merit in the argument that the three categories of Commercial staff should be unified into a single cadre. Accordingly, it is recommended that they should be consolidated into one cadre called Commercial and Ticketing Staff. The cadre will have the following structure after merger:
% Distribution of Posts
Employees in GP 1900 should be upgraded to GP 2000; those in GP 2400 should be upgraded to GP 2800 and then placed in the appropriate level in the new pay matrix. The inter-se seniority will be as per normal rules of seniority. Proper training will have to be imparted to the employees as per the requirements. The recruitment in the cadre should be at two levels:
a. At Level 3: 50% from open market through RRB, with minimum qualification of Class XII, 33 1/3 % through General Selection from Traffic and Commercial staff in GP 1800 fulfilling the eligibility criterion, and 16 2/3% through LDCE.
b. At Level 5: 50%from open market through RRB, with minimum qualification of Graduation, and 50% through promotion.
With this merger, employees in GP 1900 and GP 2400 will get the benefit of upgradation. At the same time, the job content of all three categories will be enriched, as they will be able to join any of the three streams. Organizational flexibility will be enhanced as the department will have a larger pool of employees for optimal utilization, as per the requirement.
Also checkout following for more topic wise details on 7th Pay Commission Report
- 7th Pay Commission related expenditure may be met by Income Disclosure II
- Payment of arrears on ad-hoc basis of pay to Defence Forces
- Who are entitled to 7th Pay Commission additional Bunching increment ?
- 7th Pay Commission Latest News – Increase in Basic Pay meagre but expected gains out of other compensation, a solace
- 7th Pay Commission – Revision in 7th CPC report expected to be made by Empowered Committee
- 7th Pay Commission News – Who are to be benefited more in terms of higher pay ?
- 7th Pay Commission report on DA, CEA, FPA, NPA, OTA and other Allowances
- 7th Pay Commission Report on Leave Encashment of Earned Leave
- 7th Pay Commission Latest News – Issues to be addressed
- Family Planning Allowance be abolished – 7th Pay Commission
- 7th Pay Commission’s Report on Leave Travel Concession (LTC)
- 7th Pay Commission’s suggestions on NPS
- 7th Pay Commission Report to be processed by Empowered Committee – Finance Ministry Order
- Heads of NDC, NDA and DSSC institutions should be upgraded to Apex Scale – 7th Pay Commission
- JPA, SPA, Off-set Machine Operator, Machine Man and Electrical Supervisor to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Store Keeper (Tech) and Asst Store Keeper to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Karnataka Pensioners associations views on 7th Pay Commission Report
- Assistant Research Officer and Senior Research Assistant of CWC to get next higher Grade Pay – 7th Pay Commission
- Comparison of Pay between Central Government Civilian and Defence Forces Officers
- Higher Grade Pay for Railway Commercial clerk, Reservation Clerk and ticket checking staff
- Assistant Station Master (ASM) to get higher grade pay and upgraded to SM – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Sub Inspectors and Inspectors of CBI to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- IB ACIO-II and ACIO-I to get higher Grade Pay – 7th Pay Commission
- CGWB Technical Operator (Drilling) be given GP 1900 – 7th Pay Commission
- Planning Assistants should be upgraded to GP 4600 from the existing GP 4200 – 7th Pay Commission