Educational concession to children of armed forces personnel not to be capped

The Union government decided not to impose a Rs 10,000 per month cap on educational concession to children of Armed forces officers and personnel below officer ranks (PBORs) either killed or missing or permanently disabled in action.

Union defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman conveyed the decision to Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh through a letter. On December 1 last year, the Punjab CM wrote a letter to the defence minister requesting her to revoke the decision to cap the educational concession, including tuition fee and hostel charges, at Rs 10,000 per month.

Amarinder reasoned that the decision would defeat the purpose of the scheme announced in the Lok Sabha in 1971. He told the defence minister that continuing the scheme without capping it at Rs 10,000 would go a long way in boosting the morale of the armed forces and their families. He submitted that the scheme is beneficial, particularly to the children of martyrs and disabled soldiers, to whom the nation owes its security and sovereignty. He said a cap on the scheme would undermine the sacrifice of the defence personnel.

The educational concession was initially being given to children of armed forces personnel killed or missing or permanently disabled in 1962, 1965, 1971 wars, Operation Pawan and Operation Meghdoot

On August 6, 2003, the defence ministry extended the concession to children of armed forces personnel who were killed or declared missing or permanently disabled during all post Meghdoot operations in India and abroad, including counter insurgency operations. The concession can be availed by students studying in government or government-aided educational institutes, sainik schools and autonomous organisations financed entirely by Central or state governments.

Source: TOI

You might also like