Breaking News – Unprecedented Press Conference by 4 Senior Supreme Court Judges
In an unprecedented move, the most senior judge of the Supreme Court J Chelameswar has called a press conference.
In an unprecedented move, the most senior judge of the Supreme Court J Chelameswar has called a press conference “to tell the public about what is happening within the institution and Collegium.”
“The CJI has left us with no option but to go public about what is going on within the Collegium,” Justice Chelameswar said prior to the press conference. Here are the highlights from the press meet:
- “We collectively tried to persuade CJI that certain things aren’t in order so take remedial measures but unfortunately our efforts failed,” says Justice Chelameswar
- All four said that there are several irregularities happening within the Supreme Court and CJI is not amenable to requests of the senior four.
- The Justices didn’t specify what the issues they discussed are. They didn’t confirm it was about Justice Loya’s mysterious death.
- A few minutes before the press conference, the SC said the “mysterious death of Justice BH Loya is a serious issue” and asked the Maharashtra government to present all documents to do with his death to the court on Monday. Justice Loya was hearing the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case and died under mysterious circumstances.
- “We met CJI this morning. We collectively tried to persuade CJI that certain things aren’t in order so take remedial measures but unfortunately our efforts failed,” says Justice Chelameswar.
- It is discharge of debt to the nation which has brought us here, Justice Ranjan Gogoi tells in press conference
- “The administration of the Supreme Court is not in order & many things which are less than desirable have happened in last few months,” says Justice Chelameswar.
- “The four of us gave a letter to the Chief Justice of India (CJI) some months ago,” say the Justices
- “Democracy will not survive if judiciary is not impartial,”, says Justice Chelameswar
- “This is an extraordinary event and it is with no pleasure we are doing this…We are left with no choice but to address the nation,’ says Justice Chelameswar.
- Senior advocate Indira Jaising present at the press conference even prior to its commencement.
- All four senior judges – justice Chelameswar, justice Gogoi, justice Lokur and Justice Kurian Joseph walk in for press conference.
- Press conference begins
- Justices Ranjan Gogoi and Madan Lokur, the number three and number four in SC, are expected to join Justice Chelameswar for the press conference.