Sastra University Admission 2018
Sastra University Admission is strictly based on merit only. Sastra University offers the following full-time programmes: B. Tech., 5- Year integrated M.Tech., M. Tech., MCA, MBA, B.Com (CA), B.A./B.Com./B.B.A., LL.B, (Hons.) & B.Sc./B.A., B.Ed. (4-year integrated) programmes in its main campus in Thanjavur and B. Sc., B.Com, BBA, BCA, M.Sc., and B. Tech. (CSE, ECE, EEE,) courses in its Srinivasa Ramanujan Centre (off-campus centre of SASTRA recognized by Govt. of India) in Kumbakonam. SASTRA is not having any other off-campus centre. Application forms will be issued from the last week of March 2018. Candidates can check the complete details on Sastra University Admission 2018 from here.
Sastra University Admission 2018:
Seat cannot be reserved before for admission under the merit list. Only NRI sponsored students’ can approach the Office of Admissions for more admission information.
Admission to B.Tech. / 5-Year Integrated M.Tech. Programme
Admission to the B.Tech. / 5-year Integrated M.Tech. programs will be conducted under two streams. All the applicants will be eligible for both the stream and need not submit two separate application form. This application form will be considered for the both streams.
(1) Stream 1 (based on JEE(Main) 2018 scores and +2 Marks) for 70% of seats
(2) Stream 2 (based on +2 marks) for 30% of seats
Stream 1 Admission: Applicants under stream 1 will be admitted to 70% of the seats based on JEE (Main) 2018 scores and normalized +2 marks. The weightage for JEE Main scores and +2 marks will be 25% & 75% respectively. The aggregate JEE Main score and normalized +2 aggregate will be taken together as per the weightage and applicants will be ranked based on the resultant combined score.
For example: If a student secures a JEE Main Score of 185 and normalized +2 aggregate is 95%, the combined score of the student will be (0.25*185) + (0.75*95) = 117.5
The combined score of all students will be used to determine the SASTRA Rank and admission will be based on the SASTRA Rank secured.
Stream 2 Admission: Applicants under Stream 2 will be admitted based on their normalized aggregate +2 or its equivalent marks. This is for 30% of the total seats. To bring all candidates from different examining authorities/ boards in to the same scale of comparison and to create a list in the order of merit, the +2 or its equivalent aggregate marks will be normalized. A first rank student of each board is considered to have obtained 100% mark and aggregate mark of all other students of the board is normalized with reference to that of the first rank student. For example, if the first rank is 97% and an applicant’s aggregate is 90% then the applicant’s normalized percentage is 92.78 (90/97×100). A merit list is drawn based on the normalized percentage for making admissions for the 30% of the total seats.
Note: 1) Applicants are allowed to attend counselling for stream 2 even if they are admitted under Stream 1 and can change branch, if they wish to.
- For all PG programmes the admissions will be made on the basis of the scores in the qualifying UG / PG degree programme. GATE qualified candidates will be given preference for Engineering programmes and for MBA, students with good CAT/XAT/AIMAT/CMAT scores will be given preference.
- For all degree programmes in Law, admissions will be based on the CLAT-2018 Scores and +2 aggregate taken in the ratio of 25% : 75% respectively.
- For all other degree programmes in Sciences, Arts, Commerce, Education, etc. admissions will be based on the qualifying exam marks.
The last date for receiving application for both Streams will be during the 1st week of June 2018. Applicants are advised to submit application with results of +2 and JEE (Main) 2018 along with relevant photocopies. JEE (Main) 2018 details is mandatory (if appeared) for those who are applying under Stream 1. The applicant is advised to enter both +2 & JEE (Main) 2018 details in his/her own interest as they can attend both counselling using the same application form. If an applicant has not appeared for JEE (Main) 2018, for Stream 1, the weighted score for the 25% will be 0 but the +2 aggregate will be given 75% weightage to arrive at the combined score. However, for the Stream 2, the weightage for +2 marks will be 100%. This way, an applicant will be considered in Stream 1 & Stream 2 by default.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech.programmes:
- A pass in the +2 (or) its equivalent examination with Mathematics & Physics as compulsory subjects with either Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Computer Science / Biology and recognized by any State Board / Central Board or any other accepted by SASTRA as equivalent to 10+2 (or) its equivalent examination, with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Computer Science / Biology obtained in a single sitting
- Students with diploma in Engineering / Technology are eligible for direct admission to the second year of the relevant B.Tech. Programme.
- The candidate should not have completed 19 years as on 1.7.2018. (21 years for Lateral Entry)
Application forms will be available from the last week of March 2018 and the last date for submission of completed application forms with JEE Scores and +2 Marks will be during the 1st week of June 2018. The results will be announced at 9 pm on the same date and will be available at www.sastra.edu. Based on the results, students will be called for counseling and will be individually intimated on the date and time of counselling. Please note that you need not wait for JEE (Advanced) Scores, even if you are eligible to appear for Advanced. JEE(Main) Scores are enough and JEE (Main) 2018 results are expected to be released during the first week of May 2018.
Stream 1 counselling will be held during the 2nd/3rd week of June 2018 and seats will be allotted based on the ranks secured by the applicant calculated based on JEE (Main) Scores and normalized +2 marks and the entire admission process will be displayed in a giant screen in the SASTRA campus to ensure transparency.
Stream 2 counselling based on +2 Marks. Counselling for students under the Stream 2 category will be conducted along with Stream 1 during 2nd/3rd week of June 2018. Subsequent round of counseling is subject to vacancy position and dates will be updated in the website.
Sastra University Hostel Informations:
There are 9 hostels for boys and 5 for girls. First year B. Tech. students will be provided shared accommodation at an annual rent of Rs.8,000 only. The charges for food will be at actual based on dividing system and will approximately be around Rs.3,000 per month.
You can assume that you will stay for 10 months in a calendar year. Single room, Two-in-one, Three-in-one and Four-in-one (with or w/o bath attached facilities) will be available from II year onwards. The annual rent will be different.
Where can I collect the application forms?
Application forms will be issued from the last week of March’2018. It can be obtained:
- In person from the Office of Admissions at SASTRA Deemed University campus in Thanjavur or Kumbakonam or at Registered Office in Chennai (5, Lakshmi Nivas, Dr.Subbarayan Nagar, Kodambakkam, Chennai 600 024 (Behind Hotel Brown Star, Samiyar Madam Bus Stop. Phone No.: 044-24838029) on payment of Rs.600/-
- Application forms can also be obtained only City Union Bank. (Branch details will be made available in the website).
- Application forms can also be downloaded at www.sastra.edu. Applications can also be sent by post on receipt of DD for Rs.650/- favouring SASTRA payable at Thanjavur. DD must be sent to Office of Admissions, SASTRA Deemed University, Thanjavur – 613 401, Tamil Nadu.
Online submission of application is also possible at www.sastra.edu.
Office of Admissions
SASTRA Deemed University
Thanjavur – 613 401
Phone: 91 4362 264101-108, 304000-010
Any other information – Please contact the Office of Admissions for any additional information that you may require. Kindly ensure you talk to the right person and do not be guided by outsider or any unauthorised person. Ask for the following persons:
- Mr.C.Swaminathan (Deputy Registrar)
- Mr.G.Ganapathisubramanian (Deputy Registrar)
- Mr.S.Radhakrishnan (Office of the VC)
- Mr.A.Sahayaraj (Asst. Registrar for PG & Law admissions)
- Mr.S.Rajagopalan, Admin Officer, SRC, Kumbakonam at 0435 2426823 for SRC admissions
Bookmark this page using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + D to refer to this page and check your results and other exam-related updates. All the Best!
Best wishes – Gc tutor