GATE 2019: Check Eligibility, Exam Pattern, Exam Dates & Syllabus
GATE 2019: The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2019 will be conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras for those who want to join master’s and direct doctoral programmes in engineering, technology, architecture and in other branches of science at various Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and IITs. Also, GATE score is also used by public sector undertakings (PSUs) such as BHEL, GAIL, HAL, IOCL, ONGC, etc for their recruitment process. Next year, it will be conducted for 24 subjects on February 2, 3, 9 and 10 in computer based mode (CBT). Its score will be valid for three years.
The registration for the same will be done at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). A candidate can appear for only one paper in any one session. Certain universities in Germany like RWTH Aachen and TU Munich have made GATE score mandatory for Indian nationals to be considered for admission to post graduate courses.
Changes in GATE 2019:
Before 2019, GATE exam had 23 subject papers. But in GATE 2019, a new subject statistic has been added. The subject code for the same is ST. Soon when the official GATE 2019 website is relaunched, we will be able to check the syllabus of statistics paper.
GATE 2019 Exam Dates:
|GATE 2019 Online Application Form Opens||1st September 2018|
|Last Date for Submission of Application||21st September 2018|
|Last date for registration (with late fee)||1st October 2018|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City||3rd week of November 2018|
|Mock Test Release||3rd week of November 2018|
|Admit Card Downloading Starts||4th January 2019|
|GATE Aptitude Test||2nd, 3rd, 9th & 10th February 2019|
|Answer Key Release||Within a few days after examination|
|Announcement of Results||16th March 2019|
|Score Card Release||20th March to 31st March 2019|
|Counselling Starts||1st week of April 2019|
GATE 2019 Papers And Codes:
In GATE 2019, out of 24 papers, candidates are allowed to appear in anyone as per their preference. Also, it is important that the candidates are aware of the paper codes and their name.
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Engineering Sciences||XE|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Life Sciences||XL|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||Statistics||ST – New Addition|
|XE Paper and Codes|
|Engineering Mathematics||XE – A||Thermodynamics||XE – E|
|Fluid Mechanics||XE – B||Polymer Science and Engineering||XE – F|
|Materials Science||XE – C||Food Technology||XE – G|
|Solid Mechanics||XE – D||Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||XE – H|
|XL Paper and Codes|
|Chemistry||XL – P||Microbiology||XL – S|
|Biochemistry||XL – Q||Zoology||XL – T|
|Botany||XL – R||Food Technology||XL – U|
GATE 2019: Eligibility Criteria
There is no age limit for GATE 2018. Candidates should be graduating BE, BTech, BPharmacy, B.Arch, BSc (Research), BS, MA, MSc, MCA, Int MSc or Int BSMS in 2018. If not the above then they should have be completing their Int ME, MTech (post BSc) or a dual degree after 10+2 by 2019-20.
The application fee will be deposited through online mode by using either net banking or debit card or credit card. The fee will be non-refundable & non-transferable.
|For Examination Centers in India|
|SC/ST/PwD/ Female candidates||Rs. 750|
|All Other Categories||Rs. 1500|
|Late Fee||Rs. 500|
|For Examination Centers in Foreign Countries (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US $50|
|Dubai and Singapore||US $100|
|Late Fee||US $20|
GATE 2019 Registration
Candidates can check this section to know complete details about the application form:
- Candidates will register & fill application only through online mode on the official website.
- GATE 2019 application form will be available from 1st September 2018 to 21st September 2018.
- Upload your scanned images such as photograph (Maximum Size: 480×640 pixels, Minimum Size: 240×320 pixels & Dimension: 3.5cm × 4.5 cm) and signature (Maximum Size: 160×560, Minimum Size: 80×280 pixels & Dimension: 2 cm × 7 cm).
- Candidates also have to upload certificate of qualifying degree, category certificate and/or Dyslexic certificate (if applicable).
- At the time of GATE registration 2019, candidates can choose three exam cities as examination centres.
Candidates also have to fill ID number specified in any of the following, i.e. Aadhaar-UID, College ID, Driving License, Employee ID, Passport, PAN Card & Voter ID.
- There will be no need to send any hard copy of application/documents to the officials.
- Candidates should take a print copy of GATE application form 2019 for further references.
Candidates must fill application carefully, the correction will not be allowed in any fields except exam city center. Other details about GATE Application correction are given below:
- Candidates can make the correction in the exam city from 3rd week of November 2018 with correction fee of Rs. 400.
- Last year, the correction was done in Gender, Category and PwD status with Rs. 750 as correction fee.
- Apart from this, the institution has also provided correction facility in Name of the Candidate, Date of Birth, Name of Parent/Guardian, Qualifying Degree, Year of Qualifying Degree & Have you graduated in the above degree? by sending a request to officials along with a document proof.
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern:
- Papers: GATE examination will be conducted for 23 subjects/papers on 2nd, 3rd, 9th & 10th February 2019.
- Exam Mode: It will be organized in online mode (computer-based test).
- Type of Questions: In the examination, MCQs & Numerical type questions will be asked.
- Attempt: Candidates can appear only in any one paper of GATE examination.
- Session: Examination will be held in two sessions, i.e. forenoon (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) & afternoon (2:00 PM to 5:00 PM).
- Duration: Exam duration will be of three hours.
- Number of Questions: Total 65 questions will be asked in the examination.
- Marks: The question paper will be of 100 marks.
- Section Common in All GATE Papers: It is compulsory to attempt General Aptitude (GA) section.
|Pattern of Questions||Marks Allotted||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||1 or 2 marks||For 1 mark question, 1/3 marks will be deducted.
For 2 marks question, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
|Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||1 or 2 marks||No negative marking|
Marks & Questions Distribution:
|Sections||Number of Questions & Marks||Total Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude (GA)||5 Question carrying 1- mark each & 5 question carrying 2-marks each.||10||15|
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||25 questions carrying 1-mark each & 30 questions carrying 2-marks each.||55||85|
|Question Paper GG (Geology and Geophysics)||PART A (Compulsory)||PART B||55||85|
|25 questions carrying 1-mark each.||Section 1 (Geology) & Section 2 (Geophysics) (Attempt Any One):30 questions carrying 2-marks each.|
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||Section A Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory):||Sections B to H: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|7 questions carrying 1-mark each & 4 questions carrying 2-marks each.||9 questions carrying 1-mark each & 13 questions carrying 2-marks.|
|XL Paper (Life Sciences)||Section P Chemistry (Compulsory):||Sections Q to U: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|5 questions carrying 1-mark each & 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.||10 questions carrying 1-mark each & 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.|
GATE Syllabus 2019:
In GATE 2019 there are 23 papers and the syllabus for each paper is different. The detailed syllabus for all the papers can be obtained from the official website. In the official website the detailed syllabus for all the papers (AE/ AG/ AR/ BT/ CE/ CH/ CS/ CY/ EC/ EE/ EY/ XE/ CG/ IN/ MA/ ME/ MN/ MT/ PE/ PH/ PI/ TF & XL) will be available in PDF format.
Bookmark this page using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + D to refer to this page and check your results and other exam-related updates. All the Best!
Best wishes – Gc tutor