Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
North Block, New Delhi – 110001
Dated- 14th November, 2014
Subject: – Inclusion of eligible officers who are due to retire before the likely date of vacancies, in the panel for promotion-Regarding.
The undersigned is directed to invite reference to the Department of Personnel and Training Office Memorandum No. 2201114/98-Estt(D) dated October 12, 1998 regarding consideration of retired employees who were within the zone of consideration in the relevant year(s) but are not actually in service when the DPC is being held. The said OM provides as follows:
“……..There is no specific bar in the aforesaid Office Memorandum dated April 10, 1989 or any other related instructions of the Department of Personnel and Training for consideration of retired employees, while preparing year-wise panel(s), who were within the zone of consideration in the relevant year(s). According to legal opinion also it would not be in order if eligible employees, who were within the zone of consideration for the relevant year(s) but are not actually in service when the DPC is being held, are not considered while preparing year-wise zone of consideration/panel and, consequently, their juniors are considered (in their places), who would not have been in the zone of consideration if the DPC(s) had been held in time. This is considered imperative to identify the correct zone of consideration for relevant Year(s). Names of the retired officials may also be included in the panel(s). Such retired officials would, however, have no right for actual promotion. The DPC(s) may, if need be, prepare extended panel(s) following the principles prescribed in the Department of Personnel and Training Office Memorandum No.22011/8/87-Estt.(D) dated April 9, 1996.”
2. Appointment Committee of Cabinet has observed that DPCs often do not consider such eligible officers who are retiring before the occurrence of the vacancy in the panel year. These undesirable trends negate the very purpose of the above said Office Memorandum No. 22011/4/98-Estt(D) dated October 12, 1998 and it is also against the principle of natural justice.
3. All the Ministries/Departments are therefore advised to ensure strict compliance of the instructions of the Department of Personnel & Training issued vide this Department’s OM No. 22011/4/98-Estt(D) dated October 12, 1998.
4. These instructions may please be brought out to the notice of all concerned including attached and subordinate offices.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
Also Checkout following articles on the same Topic
- Promotion in Central Government Posts – DOPT prescribes model Calendar
- Timely and advance action in convening of Departmental Promotion Committee meeting in terms of Model Calendar
- Cadre Review – Meeting with Cadre Controlling Authority
- Postal Group C Employees Cadre restructuring proposal approved by Ministry
- Timely and advance action in convening of Departmental Promotion Committee (DPC) meeting in terms of Model Calendar
- Timely and Advance Action in convening Departmental Promotion Committee
- Inclusion of eligible officers who are due to retire before the likely date of vacancies, in the panel for promotion
- Promotion to the grade of Deputy Secretary on ad-hoc basis
Share your thoughts on this topic. Use your facebook login to comment