Articles you may Like
Wikipedia website which is the most widely used reference work in the world has entered into 11th year.
Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia. Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger launched this site in the year 2001. Jimmy Wales is still associated with Wikipedia.
The most interesting part of Wikipedia is that its contents are editable by anybody who has a web browser and an internet connection. It is a common criticism that Wikipedia compromises with the accuracy of information by way of allowing users to edit the articles. To address this issue, all edits are moderated and regulated by a team of volunteers.
The other concern of lovers of Wikipedia is that a great website relies much on donation in spite its potential to generate revenue on its own. They feel that it would affect the quality of website in the long run
Certain interesting statistics on Wikipedia:
- The English Wikipedia has over 13.76 million registered users.
- There are a massive 17 million articles on Wikipedia, 3.5 million of them are written in the English language.
- In January 2001 there were only 25 articles on the English Wikipedia, the only version available then.
- Wikipedia claims to have roughly 325 million readers and the number grows.
- Wikipedia is updated over 100 languages and available in at least 20 Indian languages (Hindi, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Bishnupriya Manipuri, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Urdu, Nepali, Kannada, Sanskrit, Bhojpuri, Pali, Punjabi, Oriya, Romani, Kashmiri, Sindhi and Assamese).
- The three millionth article on English Wikipedia was added on 17 August 2009. The 3.5 million articles milestone happened on 12 December 2010.
- Richard Farmbrough of Stamford, England is one of the most prolific contributors to Wikipedia with over 7,50,000 edits.
- Gangadhar Bhadani, who works for a Nationalised Bank in India is the most prolific Indian Wikipedian with over 1,92,400 edits.
- On 9 September 2007, the English version of Wikipedia surpassed two million articles. It made it the largest encyclopaedia ever put together and took the record from the Yongle encyclopedia, which had held it for 600 years.
- Wikipedia is much supported by Google Search engine. Try typing any meaningful word in Google search engine. You could see a Wikipedia page on the top 5 of the search result.
Source : IBN Live