Google Instant Search- Try the magic!
While we are wondering how could Google search engine fetch thousands and thousands of web pages in split seconds some times for the search phrases we provide, it has gone one step ahead and now started to fetch search results instantly as you started to type the word. This new technology has been named as Google Instant Search.
How it works
The basics of Google search are the same, including how results are ranked and how Google determines relevant results. What has changed is the path you can take to get to relevant results. As you start to type your search terms, Google Instant automatically shows results for a popular search that begins with those letters. If you don't see the results you want, just keep typing and the results will dynamically update. Connect to the information you need faster, even before you finish typing your search!
Here's what happens when you search:
- Start to type. As you type a search on Google, the homepage automatically starts displaying your search results — no need to press Enter. A list of predicted queries is generated using the autocomplete algorithm. These predictions are displayed in a drop-down menu below the search box.
- See results. The algorithm tries to predict what the rest of your query might be based on popular queries typed by other users. The first prediction is shown in light grey in the search box, and the search results you see instantly will be for that predicted search. If instead you want to see results for only the text you've typed, just press Enter or click the Search button.
- Type more, see more. If you continue to type, we'll dynamically update the search results to match the first prediction for what you've typed.
- Refine your search. Don't find the information or website you want? It's easy to refine your search after seeing what results appear. Here are some options:
- If you see what you're looking for in the list of predicted queries, click the query to see relevant results.
- Use your keyboard's down arrow key to scroll through the list of predicted queries, and see results appear for each query you pause over.
- Continue typing your query until the results show what you're looking for. As always, you're still able to type your full query and press Enter or click the Search button.
Faster Searches: By predicting your search and showing results before you finish typing, Google Instant can save 2-5 seconds per search.
Smarter Predictions: Even when you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, predictions help guide your search. The top prediction is shown in grey text directly in the search box, so you can stop typing as soon as you see what you need.
Instant Results: Start typing and results appear right before your eyes. Until now, you had to type a full search term, hit return, and hope for the right results. Now results appear instantly as you type, helping you see where you’re headed, every step of the way.
It works only for signed-in users:
Google Instant Search will work for you only if you are signed in using your Gmail user name and password. Staying logged in to Gmail or Google Reader or any other Google service, will also make you search instantly in Google home page.
You can turn it off:
Google lets you disable the instant search feature quite easily.
Source: Google Instant