FOOD CORPORATION OF INDIA
HEADQUARTERS, KHADYA SADAN
16-20, BARAKHAMBA LANE
New Delhi, dated 24th August, 2012
Posting of husband and wife at the same station.
Reference is invited to the clause 3.2 of Circular dated 05.01.2011 pertaining to transfer policy for Category I officers which provides that FCI would be guided by the exiting policy frame work of the Central Government on posting of husband and wife together as far as possible and administratively feasible. Similarly, Clause (11) of Section II of Circular dated 21.11.2002 and Clause 1(a) of Section-II of Circular dated 30.03.2012 pertaining to transfer policy for Category II, III and IV contains the provisions for posting both husband and wife at one station as far as possible to enable them to lead normal family life subject to administrative convenience and other terms and conditions.
2. The Government of India had been following similar policy in the matter of posting of husband and wife at the same station in view of the utmost importance attached to the enhancement of women’s status in all walks of life and to enable them to lead a normal family life and also to ensure the education and welfare of the children.
3. In the context of the need to make concerted efforts to increase representation of women in Central Government jobs, the Government of India has reviewed these guidelines to see whether the instructions could be made mandatory. DoP&T has accordingly issued O.M. No. F.No.28034/9/2009-Estt.(A) dated 30th September, 2009 to convey the decision that when both spouses are in same Central Service or working in same Department and if posts are available, they may mandatorily be posted at the same station. The said O.M. contains consolidated guidelines applicable in different situations.
4. The Staff bodies have been pressing hard for adopting the aforesaid guidelines of Govt. of India and to issue appropriate guidelines for FCI employees accordingly.
5. The matter has been examined in the light of existing policy of the Corporation and observed that as far as posting of husband and wife at same station is concerned, like Govt. of India FCI also attaches great importance to the welfare of women & children and normal family life of its employees. The Competent Authority has accordingly decided to adopt the guidelines as contained in DoP& ‘s O.M. dated 30th September, 2009 in the following situations applicable in case FCI:
i. Where the spouses are employed in FCI and belong to same unit of senority, the competent Authority may post them at the same station.
ii. Where one spouse belongs to an All India Service and the other spouse belongs to FCI, the spouse employed under FCI may apply to the competent authority and said authority may post the employee to the station, or if there is no post under FCI in that station, to the state where the other spouse is posted.
iii. Where one spouse belongs to a Central Service and the other spouse belongs to FCI, the spouse employed under the FCI may apply to the competent authority and the said authority may post the employee to the station or if there is no post under FCI in that station, to the station nearest to the station where the other spouse is posted. If, however, the request can be granted because FCI has no post in the said station, then the spouse controlling authority and the said authority may post the said employee to the station or if there is no post in that station, to the station nearest to the station where the spouse employed under FCI is posted.
iv. Where one spouse is employed in FCI and the other spouse is employed under the State Govt. or Central/State PSU, the spouse employed under FCI may apply to competent authority which may post the said officer to the station or if there is no post in that station to the State where the other spouse is posted.
6. Where transfer of Cat II, III and IV employees under any of the aforesaid situations involves Inter-Zonal permanent transfer, the same would be further subject to the provisions of Circular No.EP-03-2012-04 dated 30.03.2012, as amended from time to time.
7. The Competent Authority should strive to post the employee at the station of the spouse and in case of inability to do so, specific reasons, therefore may be communicated to the employee. The complaints against non-adherence to the instructions are to be decided by authorities at least one level above the authorities which took the original decision when they are below the level of Chariman and Managing Director and all such representations shall be considered and disposed of in time and bound manner.