As recommended by National Commission for Religious and Linguistic Minorities creation of a sub-quota for minorities from within the reservation of 27% available to OBCs, in Government employment, Government has decided to provide sub-quota of 4.5% for minorities, as
defined under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act. 1992. The following Office Memorandum issued by DOPT gives effect to this decision.
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block. New Delhi- 110001
Dated the 22nd December, 2011
Subject: Reservation for Other Backward Classes in Civil Posts and Services under the Govt. of India — Sub-quota for Minority Communities.
The undersigned is directed to invite attention to this Department’s O.M. No.36012/22/93-Estt.(SCT) dated 8th September, 1993 regarding reservation for Other Backward Classes in civil posts and services under the Government of India.
2. The Government of India had set up the National Commission for Religious and Linguistic Minorities to suggest criteria for the identification of the socially and economically backward sections amongst Religious and Linguistic Minorities and to recommend measures for their welfare, including reservation in Government employment. The Commission submitted its report to the Government on 10th May. 2007, wherein it had, inter-alia, recommended creation of a sub-quota for minorities from within the reservation of 27% available to OBCs, in Government employment.
3. The Government have carefully considered the above recommendation and it has been decided to carve out a sub-quota of 4.5% for minorities, as defined under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act. 1992, from within the 27% reservation for OBCs as notified by the aforesaid O.M. The castes / communities of the said minorities which are included in the Central list of OBCs, notified state-wise from time to time by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, shall be covered by the said sub-quota.
4. Similar instructions in respect of public sector undertakings and financial institutions including public sector banks will be issued by the Department of Public Enterprises and by the Ministry of Finance respectively.
5. These orders will have effect from 1st January, 2012 and the O.M. No. 36012/22 93-Estt. (SCT), dated 8th September, 1993 stands modified to the above extent.
6. The Hindi version of the O.M, follows.
(Sharad Kumar Srivastava)
Under Secretary to the Government of India