Purchase of Quality Uniforms to Railway Employees – Committee Formed
Three member Committee to finalize Purchase of Quality Uniforms to Railway Employees – QUESTIONNAIRE circulated for suggestions
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, dated 18.09.2012.
The General Managers
Zonal Railways &
Sub:- Dress Regulations-2004- Uniform Committee-modification reg.
Kindly refer to Board’s letter No.2009/UN-1/6 dated 4.09.2012 vide which it was informed that pursuant to complaint from unions and zonal railways regarding inferior quality of uniform, a three member Committee comprising of Executive Director, Estt.(G) as convener, Executive Director Railway Stores(G) and Executive Director Finance(S) as members has been constituted in Board’s office to finalize the specifications and purchase methodology of the cloth for
uniforms and shoes with an objective of supply of quality product to eligible railway employees.
3. The committee, therefore, desires to know your views/suggestions for improvement in the quality of cloth presently procured for uniform purpose. A questionnaire placed below has been prepared for your views on the various issues.
4. Your views may be given as answers to the questionnaire and should reach the undersigned positively by 30.9.2012.
Director, Estt.( Welfare)
1. The present position relating to specification with regard to Cloth in the Dress Regulations-2004 is as follows:-
Specifications for terricot and suiting for uniform cloth are as follows:-
(a) Shirting Cloth: Cloth hand-loom polyester cotton blended 67/33 shirting 88/91 cms. wide conforming to IS:11815/86 in length of 21 meters and above in multiples of 3 meters.
(b) Suiting Cloth: Cloth hand-loom polyester cotton blended 67/33 suiting 138/142 cms. wide conforming to IS:11248/85 in piece length of 21 meters and above in multiples of 3 meters.
Para-8. 1 of the Dress Regulations, however, provides for mill made terricot cloth. Further, decision of the Board that the specifications should conform to standard quality cloth supplied by well known firms practically rules out hand-loom cloth.
Specification for cotton cloth:
(a) Upper garment: Cellular cotton ISI specification 1144/88.
(b) Lower garment: Cotton drill ISI specification 177/89.
Cotton uniform has been provided only for a few categories, viz, firemen, augwala Loco, Engine cleaner and steam loco staff.
Do you consider the present criteria require any modification with reference to specifications etc. Complete details may please be furnished.
2. Please furnish the category wise number of eligible staff for supply of Uniform/protective clothing on your Railway.
3. The categories of staff in your opinion, which should be included by virtue of the working conditions giving details of staff strength and other particulars which considered necessary.
4. Do you consider the present scale and style of uniform/protective clothing satisfactory? Is there any complaint from the staff side on this account? Your suggestion regarding modification, if any, to the present scale, style and colour of the uniform/protective clothing may be furnished as per format prescribed in Annexure IV to Board’s instructions issued under letter No.E(W)2008/UN-1/10 dated 04.05.09.
5. At present, footwear does not form part of uniform. However General Managers are competent to sanction necessary footwear at locations where it is essential on account of occupational hazards. Vide Board’s letter No.E(W)2005/UN- 1/3 dated 05.09.07, the categories, viz, Gangmen (Trackmen), Keymen, Mates, Patrolmen, Gate-men and Trollymen, are provided ‘One pair of branded Canvas hunter shoes/jungle boot with proper heat insulation for sole conforming to BIS-l5298’ against which payment of Rs.450/- is made to these categories. Please identify the categories of staff who are to be issued shoes. Also specify if there is a requirement of other pair of shoes for categories as mentioned above.
6. Any other suggestions.