In the case of pension and family pension, the revision of pension in certain cases depends upon the age of the pensioners. Considering hardship faced by the pensioners Change of date of birth based on certain identity proof documents such as Passport, CGHS Card, Driving Licence, Voter’s ID Card, Aadhaar Number issued by UIDAI is being allowed only in the situations date of birth is not specifically available in the pensioners’ records.
However, some of the pensioners have represented for correction of date of birth in PPO based on documents such as passport, CGHS card , Voter Id card etc.
In this connection, government has issued following Office memorandum to the effect that pensioners’ records can not be amended based on identity documents available with them. However, such pensioners can represent before head of the office where they were working earlier with supporting documents. On the basis of such documents the head of the office can decide whether to allow correction of date of birth in the PPO.
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Khan Market, New Delhi
Dated: 13th September, 2012
Sub: Change in date of birth/age of family pensioners — regarding.
In accordance with the instructions issued vide this Department’s OM No.38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 21.5.2009, 11.8.2009, 25.6.2010 & 28.9.2010 and OM No.1/19/11-P&PW(E) dated 3.8.2011, additional pension/family pension to old pensioners/family pensioners is allowed on the basis of the date of birth/age recorded in the Pension Payment Order (PPO) or other office records. Only in case the details regarding date of birth/age are not available in the PPO/office records, additional pension/family pension to old pensioners/family pensioners has been allowed on the basis of certain documents i.e. PAN Card, Matriculation certificate. Passport, CGHS Card, Driving Licence, Voter’s ID Card and Aadhaar Number issued by UIDAI.
2. During his service and at the time of retirement, a Government servant is required to give details of his family, including date of birth of its members, in Form 3.Date of birth/age of the members of family mentioned by the Government servant in Form 3 was not mandatory to be verified by the Head of Office. It is felt that in some case, the date of birth/age of a family pensioner, as recorded in the PPO/office records might be incorrect.
3. Some representations have been received in this Department regarding the hardship being caused to old family pensioners in getting the additional pension on account of incorrect recording of the date of birth/age in the PPO. They have been requesting for allowing the change of date of birth in the PPO on the basis of the documents prescribed in the various OMs mentioned in Para I above.
4. The matter has been considered in this Department in consultation with the Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure and the following decisions have been made:
Since the date of birth of the Government servant is recorded in the PPO on the basis of the service records and the date of superannuation etc. also is determined on the basis of this date of birth, there is no question of allowing change in the date of birth of the retired/deceased pensioner in the PPO.
The request for change of date of birth/age of the family pensioner (parents and spouse) in the PPO may be submitted by a pensioner/family pensioner to the Head of the Department of the organisation where the Government servant had last served along with at least one of the documents mentioned in Para 1 above and a declaration on a non-judicial stamp paper regarding the correct date of birth of the family pensioner. The Head of the Department may allow the change in the date of birth of the family pensioner if he is satisfied that the conditions indicated in this Department’s OM No.38/37/08-P&PW (A) dated 21.5.2009 have been fulfilled and that a bona-fide mistake has been made in recording the date of birth in the PPO.
No other document will be accepted for allowing the change in date of birth/age of the family pensioner in the PPO.
In order to avoid any possibility of recording an incorrect date of birth in the PPO, in future, the Government servant may be required to submit one of the documents indicated in Para 1 above as proof of date of birth of spouse or parents along with the details of family in Form 3. In the case of children certificate of birth from the Municipal authorities or from the local panchayat or from the head of a recognised school if the child is studying in such a school or from a Board of Education may be accepted.
5. As regards pensioners/family pensioners belonging to the Indian Audit and Accounts Departments, these Orders issue after consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
6. This issues with the concurrence of Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure vide their I.D. No 428/E.V/2012, dated 27/8/2012.