Articles you may Like
Delhi MLAs may get 400% hike in Pay – AAP MLAs Praveen Kumar, Saurabh Bharadwaj, Rituraj, Akhilesh Pati Tripathi, Nitin Tyagi, Sarita Singh, Sanjeev Jha were among those who sought a salary hike.
A committee set up by Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel has recommended to increase the salary of MLAs by 4 times. The committee has suggested raising the basic salary of legislators from the current Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000.
Here is a break up of salary as recommended by the expert committee :
- Basic salary – from Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000
- Constituency allowance: from Rs 18,000 to Rs 50,000.
- Allowance for office assistants: Rs 70,000 per month (for research, computer operators, office assistant etc. The amount is to be reimbursed on production of recipt.)
- Allowance for office rent – Upto Rs 25,000
- Communication allowance – From Rs 8000 to Rs 10,000
- Conveyance allowance – From Rs 6000 to Rs 30,000
- Daily allowance – From Rs 1000 to Rs 2000 (When the Assembly is in session.)
- One time allowance for furnishing office Rs 1 lakh
Subsidy of Rs 4000 for electricity has been scrapped as per the recommendation made by the Assembly committee.
In July, scores of AAP legislators had approached the Delhi government for a revision in their salaries, complaining that Rs 82,000 per month for a lawmaker was not enough in the national capital.
Of the ones who had raised the issue, eight lawmakers were living in rented accommodation. In 2011, the Delhi assembly had passed an amendment bill to double the salaries of MLAs.
AAP MLAs Praveen Kumar, Saurabh Bharadwaj, Rituraj, Akhilesh Pati Tripathi, Nitin Tyagi, Sarita Singh, Sanjeev Jha were among those who sought a salary hike.
The lawmakers’ salary was last increased by 100 per cent in September 2011 by the then Sheila Dikshit government, citing inflation and the rise in the cost of living cost.
Source: Indian Express