LTC and Official Tour in Private Airlines – Ministry of Finance issues Guidelines for all Central Government Employees to travel by Private Airlines other than Air India – Powers for relaxation has been delegated to Financial Advisers of Ministry
Department of Expenditure has published an OM regarding procedure to be followed by Govt Officials for travelling through private airlines.
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
New Delhi, dated the 7th June, 2016 .
Sub:- Delegation of powers to Financial Advisers to accord exemption for air travel in airlines other than Air India in individual cases – reg.
Reference is invited to Department of Expenditure’s O.M. of even number dated 13th July 2009 which provides that in all cases of air travel, both domestic and international, wherein the Government of India bears the cost of air passage, officials have to travel in Air India only. For cases of air travel by Airlines other than Air India because of operational or other reasons or on account of non-availability, the powers were vested with Ministry of Civil Aviation to accord exemption in individual cases.
2. The matter has been examined in consultation with the Ministry of Civil Aviation. Accordingly, powers are hereby delegated to the Financial Advisers of the Ministries/Departments to accord exemption for air travel, both Domestic and International, by airlines other than Air India. In respect of individual cases of Autonomous Bodies, the Financial Advisers of the concerned Ministry/ Department will accord exemption for Air travel by Airlines other than Air India. The individual cases of Financial Advisers for air travel in airlines other than Air India, will be approved by the administrative Secretary of the concerned Ministry.
3. To regulate the individual claims, guidelines and proforma for seeking relaxation for travel by airlines other than Air India, are enclosed at Annexure – A & B.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
GUIDELINES FOR RELAXATION TO‘TRAVEL BY AIRLINES OTHER THAN AIR INDIA
1. Request for seeking relaxation is required to be submitted in the Proforma (Annex. B)
2. The request for relaxation must be submitted to Integrated Finance Division at least 7 working days in advance from date of travel.
3. There is no requirement to seek relaxation for those Sectors on which General/blanket relaxation has been accorded by Ministry of Civil Aviation.
4. Those seeking relaxation on ground of Non-Availability of Seats (NAS) must enclose NAS Certificate issued by authorized travel agents or a copy of the sector specific snapshot of Air India website.
5. As per Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure OM No.19024/1/2009-E.IV dated 13th July, 2009 for sectors which are not connected directly by any of the airlines, an employee must travel by Air India upto the nearest hub. Relaxation will be granted for the remaining segment.
6. Relaxation to travel by airlines other than Air India while availing LTC will be granted only in exceptional circumstances. Non availability of AI flight/seats on a particular day/time would not be considered as a valid ground for seeking relaxation.
7. Availability of lower fare is no criteria for seeking relaxation.
8. Those seeking relaxation on the ground of attending meeting at a particular time, must attach meeting notice and approved tour programme.
9. For foreign travel cases, where full or partial grants are received, journey has to be performed on Air India upto the place upto which Air India is available and seek relaxation for the remaining sector. On international routes where Air India has code share partner, the same must be utilised.
10. For invitees from abroad travelling on Government of India funding, efforts should be made to book them on Air India and Air India code share flights to the extent possible.
11. Non-receipt of approval by the stipulated date does not entitle one to claim, relaxation as a matter of right.
PROFORMA FOR RELAXATION TO TRAVEL BY AIRLINES OTHER THAN AIR INDIA
Item of Information Remarks 1. Name 2. Designation 3. Name of the Organization/Division 4. Date of visit 5. Whether Foreign travel/ Domestic travel/ LTC 6. In case of official visit, copy of approved tour programme 7. Whether entitled for Air travel as per rules. If not, copy of approval of competent authority for air travel 8. Detailed reasons for seeking permission to travel in airlines other than Air India (Foreign/ Domestic): 9. Attach print out of communication with official website of Air India and Govt authorized travel agents viz. Ashok Travels& Tours, Balmer Lawrie & Co. and IRCTC regarding the above reasons or official communication from Air India and these agencies. 10. In case of foreign travel, whether full or part journey is proposed through alliance partner of Air India 11. Undertaking from the travelling official that in case permission is granted for air journey other than by Air India, he/she will avail the cheapest available ticket in the entitled category among the options of various private airlines operating in that sector.
(Signature of the individual travelling) (Signature of the Head of the Office)
RECOMMENDATION OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION/ MINISTRY
*(Signature of Joint Secretary)
*Note:In case the individual travelling is holding the appointment of JS or above in the Ministry, no separate approval of Head of the Organization and approval of the Administrative Division/Ministry is required. In. such cases, self-certification by the travelling officer GS &above) will be sufficient for submitting their proposal for grant of the said permission.