One of the GConnect readers asked us to clarify whether Paternity Leave is applicable when a child is adopted.
As per Office Memorandum No. 13018/1/2009-Estt.(L) dated 22.07.2009 (Click here to download this OM) issued by DOPT, A male Government servant (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children, on valid adoption of a child below the age of one year, may be sanctioned Paternity Leave for a period of 15 days within a period of six months from the date of valid adoption.
We also provide here the details of Maternity and Paternity Leave
(1) A female Government servant (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children may be granted maternity leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a period of 180 days from the date of its commencement.
(2) During such period, she shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
NOTE:- In the case of a person to whom Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948 (34 of 1948), applies, the amount of leave salary payable under this rule shall be reduced by the amount of benefit payable under the said Act for the corresponding period.
(3) Maternity leave not exceeding 45 days may also be granted to a female Government servant (irrespective of the number of surviving children) during the entire service of that female Government in case of miscarriage including abortion on production of medical certificate as laid down in Rule 19:
Provided that the maternity leave granted and availed of before the commencement of the CCS (Leave) Amendment Rules, 1995, shall not be taken into account for the purpose of this sub-rule.
(4) (a) Maternity leave may be combined with leave of any other kind.
(b) Notwithstanding the requirement of production of medical certificate contained in sub-rule (1) of Rule 30 or sub-rule (1) of Rule 31, leave of the kind due and admissible (including commuted leave for a period not exceeding 60 days and leave not due) up to a maximum oftwo years may, if applied for, be granted in continuation of maternity leave granted under sub-rule (1).
(5) Maternity leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
(1) A male Government servant (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children, may be granted Paternity Leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a period of 15 days, during the confinement of his wife for childbirth, i.e., up to 15 days before, or up to six months from the date of delivery of the child.
(2) During such period of 15 days, he shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
(3) The paternity Leave may be combined with leave of any other kind.
(4) The paternity leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
(5) If Paternity Leave is not availed of within the period specified in sub-rule (1), such leave shall be treated as lapsed.
NOTE:- The Paternity Leave shall not normally be refused under any circumstances.