7th Pay Commission recommends for increasing Special Allowance for Child Care, Transport allowance, Children Education Allowance, hostel subsidy etc for Persons with Disabilities
As per the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995, a “person with disability” means a person suffering from not less than 40 percent of any disability (listed below) as certified by a medical authority.
- (i) blindness
- (ii) low vision
- (iii) leprosy cured
- (iv) hearing impairment
- (v) locomotor disability
- (vi) mental retardation
- (vii) mental illness.
Nearly 26.8 million Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) live in the country, which is nearly 2.21 percent of the total population.
PWDs in Central Government
- Government provides 3% reservation in jobs
- Government providing training, identifying posts suitable for PWDs, free environment workspace, preference in transfer
- Age relaxation of 10 years (15 years in case of SC/ST, 13 years for OBC) in the upper age limit for direct recruitment to civil posts/services under the Central
Special entitlements given to PWDs
- Special Allowance for Child Care for Women with Disabilities at the rate of Rs.1,500 pm;
- Transport Allowance at double the normal rate, subject to a minimum of Rs.1,000 pm;
- Constant Attendance Allowance for retired employees with 100 percent disablement at the rate of Rs.4,500 per month;
- Special Casual Leave for four days in a calendar year for specific requirements relating to disabilities;
- Special Casual Leave for ten days in a calendar year for participation in Conferences/ Seminars/Trainings/Workshops related to disability and development.
In case the disability is work related, the following additional provisions are available:
a. Special Disability Leave;
b. Disability Pension;
c. Educational Concession to children of Defence personnel who are disabled in action.
For employees with differently abled children, Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy is granted at double rate.
Demands Associations of employees with disabilities
i. Suitable enhancement in the existing provisions
ii. Provision of Common Room in offices with suitable recreational facilities
iii. Additional rebate in House Building Advance and Automobile Advance
iv. Establishment of Welfare Committees in the ministries
Analysis and Recommendations
Central Government to ensure equal opportunities, protection of rights and full participation in society for PWDs, in consonance with the principles enshrined in the Indian Constitution has made provision of appropriate measures for employees with disabilities.
The Commission has made various recommendations regarding PWDs at different places in the report. They are consolidated here for ready reference:
i. In recognition of the singular responsibility faced by differently abled women in raising their children, the Special Allowance for Child Care for Women with Disabilities has been enhanced from the present rate of Rs.1,500 pm to Rs.3,000 pm
ii. Transport Allowance at double the normal rate has been retained, and the minimum amount has been increased from Rs.1,000 pm to Rs.2,250 pm
iii. Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy have been kept at double rate for differently abled children
iv. Constant Attendance Allowance has been enhanced from Rs.4,500 pm to Rs.6,750 pm
v. Special Disability Leave has been subsumed in Work Related Illness and Injury Leave (WRIIL), with improved provisions
vi. Educational Concession, hitherto available only to the children of Defence personnel killed/missing/disabled in action, has been extended to similarly placed personnel of CAPFs, Indian Coast Guard, RPF and police forces of Union Territories mutatis mutandis
7th CPC made few suggestions that can go a long way in improving the working environment for these employees:
i. In our interactions, it has been highlighted that easy access, particularly to toilets, remains an issue of concern. Hence, it is suggested that Guidelines and Space Standard for Barrier Free Built Environment for Disabled and Elderly Persons, issued by CPWD, Ministry of Urban Affairs and Employment, should invariably be followed while designing new government premises. Their application in the existing offices may also be explored.
ii. Every ministry should have a Welfare Committee, with due representation of differently abled employees, to address their concerns.
iii. The grievance redressal machinery should be strengthened and made more effective.
Checkout following links to the details of Pay Commission’s Recommendations on other Topics
- Payment of arrears on ad-hoc basis of pay to Defence Forces
- Who are entitled to 7th Pay Commission additional Bunching increment ?
- 7th Pay Commission Latest News – Increase in Basic Pay meagre but expected gains out of other compensation, a solace
- 7th Pay Commission – Revision in 7th CPC report expected to be made by Empowered Committee
- 7th Pay Commission News – Who are to be benefited more in terms of higher pay ?
- 7th Pay Commission report on DA, CEA, FPA, NPA, OTA and other Allowances
- 7th Pay Commission Report on Leave Encashment of Earned Leave
- 7th Pay Commission Latest News – Issues to be addressed
- Family Planning Allowance be abolished – 7th Pay Commission
- 7th Pay Commission’s Report on Leave Travel Concession (LTC)
- 7th Pay Commission’s suggestions on NPS
- 7th Pay Commission Report to be processed by Empowered Committee – Finance Ministry Order
- Heads of NDC, NDA and DSSC institutions should be upgraded to Apex Scale – 7th Pay Commission
- JPA, SPA, Off-set Machine Operator, Machine Man and Electrical Supervisor to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Store Keeper (Tech) and Asst Store Keeper to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Karnataka Pensioners associations views on 7th Pay Commission Report
- Assistant Research Officer and Senior Research Assistant of CWC to get next higher Grade Pay – 7th Pay Commission
- Comparison of Pay between Central Government Civilian and Defence Forces Officers
- Higher Grade Pay for Railway Commercial clerk, Reservation Clerk and ticket checking staff
- Assistant Station Master (ASM) to get higher grade pay and upgraded to SM – 7th CPC Recommendations
- Sub Inspectors and Inspectors of CBI to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- IB ACIO-II and ACIO-I to get higher Grade Pay – 7th Pay Commission
- Senior Technical Assistants to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations
- 7th Pay Commission Recommendations for Pensioners
- Junior Agriculture Assistant to get higher grade pay – 7th CPC Recommendations