Railway Budget 2016 – Highlights in a Nutshell – Increased quota for senior citizens and women travellers this year.
The Union Railway Budget 2016-17 focused on capacity creation in the rail sector, with an increased outlay of about Rs. 1.21 lakh crore, and on completion of the ongoing projects rather than announcing new ones. Extending 2015’s measure, passenger fares remain the same.
1. No hike in passenger fares.
2. Action has been initiated on 139 budget announcements made last year.
3. Eliminate all unmanned level crossings by 2020.
4. Swacch Bharat: 17000 biotoilets and additional toilets in 475 stations before the close of this financial year.
5. Increased quota for senior citizens and women travellers this year.
6. Wifi at 100 stations this year and 400 stations next year.
7. Enhanced capacity of e-ticketing system from 2,000 tickets/min to 7,200/min. Supporting 1.2 lakh concurrent users now, as opposed to 40,000 earlier.
8. All major stations to be brought under CCTV surveillance in a phased manner.
9. Deen Dayal coaches for long distance trains for unreserved passengers. These coaches will include potable water and higher number of mobile charging points.
10. IRCTC to manage catering service in phased manner. Local cuisine of choice will be made available to passengers.
11. Cleaning of toilets by requests through SMS.
12. Children’s menu, baby foods, baby boards to be made available for travelling mothers.
13. GPS-based digital display in coaches for showing upcoming stations.
14. Will open cancellation facility through 139 helpline number.
15. Introduce bar-coded tickets on pilot basis to tackle menace of ticketless travel.
On new projects to be implemented this year
1. Overnight double-decker trains to be introduced on business travel routes.
2. 1,600 km of electrification this year and 2,000 km proposed for the next year.
3. Broad Gauge Lumding-Silchar section in Assam, connecting Barak Valley with rest of country.
4. North-East India, especially Mizoram and Manipur, to be connected through broad gauge soon.
5. Special purpose vehicle for the Ahmedabad-Mumbai high speed corridor registered this month.