Articles you may Like
The Union Cabinet had last week approved a policy to promote sportspersons for excellence in international sports events. As per the policy, upto three out of turn promotions can be given in their service career for winning medals in Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and World Championships. The sportsperson winning a medal or more than one medal in a Game/Team Events/Championships in a particular year will be eligible for an out of turn promotion in that year. Further record-breaking medal winning performance in National Games will also be considered for one out of turn promotion during the service career.
This would be in addition to the monetary reward scheme of the Government already in existence for all medal winners in international sports events and their coaches where the quantum of monetary rewards for individuals is upto Rs. 50 lakh for medal winning performance in Olympic Games, Asian Games and World Championships.
The Scheme will be helpful in improving the performance of individual sportsperson and will play a big role in promotion of sports among the masses. The proposed policy covers all the sportspersons working with Central Government Ministries and Department.
The Department of Personnel & Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions has since finalised the Scheme. The details of the Scheme are as under:
To promote a sportsperson for excellence in sports events by upgradation of the post personal to the sportsperson. Such a post will continue to be upgraded in higher grade till it is vacated by the sportsperson either by his/her subsequent promotion, resignation or on retirement.
- TO WHOM APPLICABLE
The Scheme is applicable to all Central Government Civilian Employees and Central Services except Railways Services and services under the control of the Department of Atomic Energy, the erstwhile Department of Electronics, the Department of Space and the Scientific and Technical Services under the Department of Defence Research and Development.
- PERFORMANCE TO BE REWARDED BY OUT OF TURN PROMOTION
The medal winning performance in sports events to be eligible for out of tum promotion will be restricted to regular disciplines of
i. Olympic Games,
ii. Commonwealth Games,
iii. Asian Games
iv. World Championships and
v. Record breaking medal winning performance in National Games conducted by Indian Olympic Association in the regular disciplines of Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and World Championships.
The Scheme will also cover differently abled sportspersons for equivalent events/games organized for them.
- NUMBER OF OUT OF TURN PROMOTION TO BE ALLOWED
A maximum of three out of turn promotion in the entire service career, subject to following conditions can be allowed to sportspersons for excellence in International/National Sports events:
- EXCELLENCE IN INTERNATIONAL SPORTS EVENTS.
- i. A sportsperson winning Gold, Silver or Bronze or more than one medal in Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and World Championships in a particular year will be eligible only for one out of turn promotion in that year.
- ii. Only the medal winning performance in aforesaid sports events will be considered for out of turn promotion. If a sportsperson or more than one sportspersons while competing in a discipline in Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and World Championships, does not win a medal but gives better performance than the previous national record in the discipline then no out of turn promotion will be allowed.
- iii. In case of a team event, a sportsperson will qualify for out of tum promotion only if he has played at least 50% of the matches in the same event. Reserve player, if any, shall not be entitled for any out of tum promotion.
- iv. An out of turn promotion be considered for performance as a Coach if he/she has trained a sportsperson or a team which goes on to win a medal in any of the international Games/Championships mentioned in para (i) above. A Coach who is a Government employee will be considered for out of tum promotion even if the sportsperson(s) he/she has trained is not a Government Servant provided he has already intimated his/her office the name of sportsperson(s) or team which have been receiving training from him. In case more than one Coach has trained a sportsperson or a team which eventually wins a medal then only the main Coach, subject to other conditions will be considered for out of turn promotion.
- v. The number of out of turn promotions allowed to a Coach will be capped at two with a gap of four years. However, the total number of out of turn promotions allowed to a Coach will not exceed three in the entire career including those given to him/her in the past for performance as a sportsperson.
- B. EXCELLENCE IN NATIONAL SPORTS EVENTS
In case of National Games conducted by Indian Olympic Association record breaking medal winning performance in an individual discipline would be considered for one out of turn promotion during the entire service career. In case more than one sportsperson gives better performance than the existing national record in the discipline in the same National Games, then all sportspersons winning medals shall be considered for one out of turn promotion.
As out of turn promotion to sportsperson is to be allowed by upgradation of post personal to the sportsperson, no separate post will be created for grant of out of turn promotion to a Sportsperson/Coach. Such a post will continue to be upgraded in higher grade till it is vacated by the sportsperson either by his/her subsequent promotion, resignation or on retirement. No out-of-turn promotion shall be granted during the probation period. The out of turn promotion will be granted only in the hierarchy of the post and no level jumping will be allowed.
6. COMPOSITION OF THE DPC
Out of turn promotion would be allowed on regular basis only. The procedure for regular promotion including vigilance clearance should be followed while considering the cases for out of turn promotion. The composition of DPC for grant of out of turn promotion to the sportsperson will be same as that prescribed in the statutory recruitment rules applicable to the post to which promotion is being made.
7. RELAXATION IN QUALIFYING/ELIGIBILITY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR
The appointing authority for the post prescribed in the relevant recruitment rules shall be competent authority for grant of relaxation from requirement of completing the qualifying service(residency period in the feeder grade), educational qualification, completion of pre-promotion training or any other condition that may be prescribed in the statutory recruitment rules applicable to the promotional post. This shall have prior approval of the Secretary concerned in case of the Ministry/Department and the Head of the organisation in the case of attached and subordinate offices.
8. TIME LIMIT FOR OUT OF TURN PROMOTION
The entitlement of a sportsperson for out of turn promotion may be processed within a period of three months from the date of occurrence of event which entitles him/her for out of turn promotion. It will be responsibility of the concerned administrative Ministry/Department to consider a sportsperson for out of turn promotion within the prescribed time limit.
9. DATE FROM WHICH PROMOTION WILL BE EFFECTIVE
The out of turn promotion will be effective from the date of conclusion of event.
10 FIXATION OF SENIORITY
A sportsperson/Coach appointed to a post/Grade by grant of out of turn promotion in relaxation of provisions of statutory recruitment rules applicable to the post/Grade, will be assigned seniority below all the regular personnel appointed(recruited/promoted) in that particular year.
11. PAY FIXATION
The pay on out of turn promotion of sportsperson will be fixed as in the case of regular promotion.
12. UTILISATION OF SERVICES OF SPORTSPERSON
As far as possible the services of the sportspersons, should be utilised for sports related activities after their active sports career is over, whether it is coaching or other technical areas.
13. POWER TO RELAX
Prior approval of DoP&T is required to be obtained to relax any of the provisions of this scheme.
Source: Press Information Bureau