With a view to reduce the scope for misuse, Tatkal tickets are issued on production of self attested photocopy of one of the prescribed proof of identity and the same in original is required to be carried during the journey, to verify the bonafide of passengers. However, during peak rush periods when the demand outstrips the availability, some cases of black marketing of reserved tickets by touts come to notice at the time of surprise inspections and preventive checks conducted at reservation offices.
During the period from April 2012 to June 2012, a large number of checks were conducted during which 930 unauthorized agents/touts were apprehended/prosecuted.
During the current financial year (upto June 2012), Indian Railways Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has permanently deactivated 14 subagents for involvement in irregularities. Moreover, with a view to keep a check on the activities of agents booking Tatkal tickets, following additional steps have been taken:
1. The timing of opening of reservation of Tatkal tickets has been changed to 1000 hours on the previous day of journey instead of 0800 hours as per earlier provision.
2. Access to Tatkal bookings has been denied to agents both through internet as well as across the computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters between 1000 hours & 1200 hours.
3. Captcha has been introduced to check fraudulent booking on internet through automation software.
4. Booking of only two tickets per IP address between 1000 hours and 1200 hours is permitted to avoid multiple booking from same office/internet café.
5. Quick book option and booking on cash card is not allowed between 1000 hours and 1200 hours.
6. Inpidual users can also book only two tickets between 1000 hours and 1200 hours.
7. No refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets except under special circumstances like cancellation of train, late running of train by more than three hours, etc.
8. Duplicate Tatkal tickets are not issued except on payment of full fare.
9. Facility of change of name is not available under this scheme
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways, Shri Bharatsinh Solanki in a written reply in Rajya Sabha