NPA element to be added for revision of Pension of Pre-1996 and Pre-2006 Armed Forces Pensioners on the basis of Department Pension’s OM No. 38/31/11-P&PW(A) dated 14.10.2014, 21.10.2014 and 18.02.2015
Defence Ministry has taken decision to revise Pension of Pre-1996 and Pre-2006 Armed Forces Pensioners with effect from 01.01.1996 and 01.01.2006 respectively by including 25% NPA (Non Practising Allowance) if they are eligible for the said allowance in line with Orders issued by in this issue by Department of Pension for Central Government Employees. Defence Ministry has also accepted include NPA element for the revised pension as per revised concordance table with effect from 24.09.2012.
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Date: 31st July 2015
The Chief of Army Staff
The Chief of Naval Staff
The Chief of Air Staff
Sub: – Revision of pension of Pre-2006 pensioners- inclusion of non-practicing Allowance (NPA) for revision of pension for Armed Force Pensioners/Family pensioners.
The undersigned is directed to refer provisions contained in this Ministry’s letter No 1(1 )/99(Pension/Services) dated 7.6.1999 and even number dated 11.9.2001. The MoD’s letter dated 7.6.1999 provides that with effect from 1.1.1996, pension/family pension of all Armed Forces pensioners, irrespective of their date of retirement, shall not be less than 50% 130% respectively, of the minimum pay in the revised scale of pay introduced with effect from 1. l .1996 of the rank, and rank Group (in case of PBOR) -held by the pensioner. MoD letter dated 11.9.200 I, however, stipulates that Non Practicing Allowance (NPA) shall not be added to minimum of revised scale of pay introduced with effect from 1.1.1996 of the rank held by the pensioner at the time of retirement. It was also clarified vide this Ministry letter No.17( 4 )/2008(1 )/D(Pen/Pol icy) elated 16.3 .20 I 0 that while revising pension of pre-2006 retirees Medical officers of Armed Force from 1.1.2006, NPA element shall not be added to determine the emoluments for minimum guaranteed pension in terms of Para 5 of this Ministry’s letter No 17(4)/2008(1)/ D(pen/Policy) dated 11.11.2008.
2. In implementation of Hon’ble Supreme Court order dated 27.11.2013 in Civil Appeal No 10640-46/2013, Government of India, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pension, Department of Pension and Pensioner Welfare, in consultation with Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure and Ministry of Law, Department of Legal Affairs, has issued three OMs bearing No 38/31/11-P&PW(A) (Vol-IV) dated 14.10.2014, dated 21.10.2014 and dated 18.02.2015. It has been decided therein that while determining minimum guaranteed pension of past retirees from 1.1.1996 in terms of DP&PW OM dated 17.12.1998, with effect from 1.1.2006 in terms of DP&PW OM dated 1.9.2008, and with effect from 24.09.2012 in terms of DP &PW OM dated 18.02.2015, the NPA element, shall be added to the minimum of the revised pay scale subject to maximum ceiling prescribed from time to time.
3. Matter was under consideration of the Government for quite some time to extend the said provisions for Armed Forces personnel also who were drawing NPA element at the time of their retirement. It has now been decided that in case of pre-1996 retired Medical officers of Armed Forces, NPA @ 25% shall be added to minimum of scale of pay as on 1.1.1996 while determining minimum guaranteed pension/family pension in terms of this Ministry letter No.1(I )/99 (Pen/Sers) dated 07.06.1999 subject to the ceiling that pay plus rank pay plus NPA shall not exceed Rs 29,500/-. It has also been decided that in case of pre-2006 retired Medical officers of Armed Forces, NP A @ 25% shall be added to the minimum of the pay in the pay band plus the grade pay and Military Service Pay, where applicable, while determining minimum guaranteed pension/ family pension from 1.1.2006 in terms of Para 5 of this Ministry letter No.17(4)/ 2008(1)/D(Pen/Pol icy) dated 11.11.2008 subject to the ceiling that pay plus grade pay plus Military Service Pay wherever applicable and NPA, shall not exceed Rs.85,000/-. Similarly, for revision of pension/family pension with effect from 24. 9.2012. NPA @ 25% shall also be added to the minimum of the fitment table for the rank in the revised pay band as indicated under fitment tables annexed with SAI 2/S/2008 and equivalent instructions for Navy and Air Force, plus Grade pay and Military Service Pay, where applicable, for determining minimum guaranteed pension in terms of this Ministry’s letter No 1(11)/2012- D(Pen/Policy) dated 17.1.2013, as modified vide letter dated 25. I l.2014 subject to the ceiling that pay plus grade pay plus Military Service Pay wherever applicable and NPA. shall not exceed Rs.85,000/-
4. The provisions contained in this Ministry’s above quoted letters dated 7.6.1999, dated 11.9.2001, dated 11.11.2008, dated 16.3.2010 and dated 17.1.2013 and dated 25.11.2014, stands modified to the above extent.
5. This issues with the concurrence of Ministry of Defence(Fin) vide their ID No.18(7)2006/Fin.Pen dated 20.07.2015
6. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India